WDTV Live Streamer WifI performance

I have recently purchased a new Billion 7800N ADSL Modem/Router for extended Wifi range and with the recent purchase of a shiny new WDTV Live streamer I am only getting 1 out of 4 bars on the signal strength meter. I have had our laptop sit beside the streamer and it indicates an excelent WiFi signal. 

My questions are:

(A) Is there a maximum distance that the WDTV operates within? and

(B) Is there any setting or way to improve the reception on the WDTV Live streamer?

(C) is there any particular WiFi channel it operates better in?

Thank you in advance.

burg69 wrote:

I have recently purchased a new Billion 7800N ADSL Modem/Router for extended Wifi range and with the recent purchase of a shiny new WDTV Live streamer I am only getting 1 out of 4 bars on the signal strength meter. I have had our laptop sit beside the streamer and it indicates an excelent WiFi signal. 

My questions are:

(A) Is there a maximum distance that the WDTV operates within? and

(B) Is there any setting or way to improve the reception on the WDTV Live streamer?

(C) is there any particular WiFi channel it operates better in?

Thank you in advance.

D) Is this giving you a particular problem?

Not at this point (Haven’t really had it working for long enough to tell yet), it’s just odd when the laptop says excellent signal strength and the WDTV displays 1 out of 4 bars…

A) my wd tv streamer is about 5 meters away from my billion 7800n router and no issues. Though it is getting 3 out of 4 bars which isn’t that good. I am able to play 30 gig 1080p mkv’s over WIFI with no issues at all.

B) yes there is a few ways to improve your receive signal. You can scan frequency the 2.4Ghz range using in SSIDer and find out what channels are being used the most and switching to one that isn’t. As a last resort you could by a cheap WAP and use it as another bearer closer to your WD TV Live to get better WIFI signal in that area.
C) it will operate better in channels that aren’t being used. But also ensure that you are transmitting 802.11n as that has a higher channel BW which means you will be highers speeds at longer distances, but it won’t increase tx range.

HTH

Thank you very much I’ll give inSSIDer a crack - Much appreciated :slight_smile:

Brett

I’m getting -58db from my Billion 7800N at approx 17.5 metres which equates to 1 bar out of 4 on the WDTV live signal strength.

Sitting right beside the Modem gives me a signal strength of approx -25db.