WDTV Live SMP > Jerky Playback on ALL Files with VC-1 Codec :((

Hello Guys,

got Big problem with my Brand New WDTV Live SMP (3. gen) all my Media Files with VC1 Codec are stuttering all the time (every 3 seconds - looks similar like Playback in wrong Framerate but my Video Settings are correct 1080p @ 24hz my other Files with AVC codecs are playing just fine…

I have the latest Firmware 1.15.10 on my device and I have read that this stutter problem should got already been fixed in previous updates but it looks like ist is still not -,-

btw. My Old WDTV (2.gen without Live) plays all these files without any Problems :neutral_face:

Please Help me :cry:

this is more likely a network throughput issue than anything else

you should compare the files bitrate to your network throughput

Thanks for Your replly :smiley:

I Play all my content from my WD MyBook USB 3.0 Hard drive

Never a Problem with my USB Cable Connection and all these VC-1 Files Play without any Problems on my 3 year old gen 2 Player but on the New one with better Hardware not this cant be real :confounded: unbelieveable to me

ok, well that is an important point

if it’s on a external USB directly connection, then network is not involved

is there any 1 encoder you use, etc for this VC-1 files

maybe how they are encoded needs to be changed

I haven’t looked specifically, but I know I have plenty VC-1 and all my files play fine

I have and use mostly uncompressed blu-ray

rip with anydvd or dvdfab

then TSMuxer

yeah i have original Blu-Ray with anydvd too without any changes just in dropped them MKV container (its a bit smaller than the files from tsmuxer) and this always played flawlessly on my old wdtv gen. 2 but not now on the new one…

I also got some different other Problems which i never had with my old wdtv:cry:

-There is an issue with the Video Output every Time i turn the SMP on the HDMI Deep Color Mode is not enable:neutral_face:

-After watching Movie and pressing Stop i’m Back in the Media Library but the Sound Plays few seconds further (maybe 3)

^^Never had one of these Problems with the old Player till now not so happy with the new WDTV Live SMP

it could be the MKV container, most of mine are left as m2ts

deep color, most TV’s don’t support it

or the TV EDID does not list it as supported

so each time HDMI handshake occurs it gets turned off

the 3 seconds of sound, I have see that issue

As mentioned it could be the container and you can use the free program handbrake to batch reencode them to something that works.

Change your video settings to 1080p @ 60Hz.

I’ve ripped some BDs with VC-1 to MKV and none of them show jerky playback.

Hello Everybody:smiley: Thank you for Helping me.

Kad79: But it Looks like my LED TV supports HDMI Deep Colour (TV is like new bought it it a year ago) if i enable in the Video Settings i get quite Better Picture to my Eyes :wink: But if i Turn the SMP off an next Time turn it on again the setted Colour mode is gone that happens everytime on each start > it is a disaster:cry:

Magsnuss33: I have all my Discs in MKV Container because it saves Plenty of Space (you can compare mt2s File made with tsmuxer is always bigger than MKV File with same content - don’t know why but mkv and mt2s are both just container’s and the stuff inside will be the same (Video File with VC-1 Codec) I will give it a try but not the real solution that would be plenty of work to do > my and my 3 year old wdtv has played these same files without any Problems and with the new one not… it’s a shame:confounded:

Tinwarble: I switched last night from 24 hz to 1080p 60 hz but the VC-1 File Playback is Jerky the same way:neutral_face:

Cognition: On 60 Hz 1080p Content looks bit sharper to me than in 24 hz but on 60 there is more Judder (Pulldown) visible than on 24 hz ( it plays smoother) and my TV supports the 24p so i use that but it has to be enabled in the Video Settings otherwise if i put it on “Auto” the Playback on the SMP Menue is on  60 Hz an if i start a Movie it will stay on 60 Hz (looks like my TV only switches Back one Time automatically :smileyvery-happy: But its not that Problem if i select the 24 hz in WDTV SMP my TV detects 24p correctly on HDMI input  (my entire content is 24p anyway)

Techflaws: I do my Discs with anydvd which is just easy nothing to adjust just one click and just keeping the video and the main audio file and the put these two toghether with mkvtoolnix in mkv container…

I’m getting crazy with this and i won’t do without these movies just while they are VC-1 there a quite a lot BluRay’s with this Codec but unwatchable in this situation with the WDTV Live SMP :cry:

greez

:

Just my 2 cents…

R_Strev in the Live Hub forum was having stuttering .mkvs with VC-1 codec

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-General/Judder-on-just-one-mkv/m-p/557955#M23772

he/she forced the resolution setting to 1080i which seemed to resolve the problem from him/her

personally though, a bit of a pain to do that … also, personally i’ve never had any problems with mkv/vc-1

^^very weird with that VC-1 issue, looks like R_Strev got same problem :dizzy_face:

I have uploaded the Legacy Theme from the Hub on my SMP device and on every startup shows me WDTV Live HUB hope there is no connection with that problem:smileyvery-happy:

I can remember the First Time I archieved my Discs to hardrive using makemkv caused errors in form of audio sync issues on every file (right from the beginnging) on with my WDTV gen2 personally dont use makemkv anymore :smiley:

trying to cange the container format  mt2s first, will report then:wink:

ok, changed a movie from mkv to mt2s container (with extactly the same content inside) and now Playback is fine as is should be, but on 25 gb File the mt2s Container is about 1,3 gb larger than the same content in an MKV Container very annoying -.-

I Don’t like this unnecessary waste of HDD Space:cry:there coming some gigs together…lost space:confounded:

Techflaws: You told me that you haven’t git Jerky Playback with VC-1 Files on your device which Firmware Version do you got and which tool are u using to Rip BD’s:smiley:

I will also try going back to fetch back the primary Mochi Theme insteadt of Legacy Theme maybe this caused this Problem too i don’t know everything possible on this device:smileyvery-happy:

“Themes” will not affect video playback  (they only change the appearance of the GUI)

I have quite a few blu-ray rips to MKV files that have VC1 video.  Never had any problems when playing any of them.  They were all ripped from blu-rays using MakeMKV.  Think I have SMP set on auto currently, so 24FPS sources play at 1080p-24.  Samsung TV.  Don’t really know what to suggest.

hmm thats really strange… for some people VC1 works on MKV but for me of course not -,-

maybe i should try antother (older) firwmare or maybe i should try another (newer) version of mkvtoolnix still using 4.3.0:confounded:

I’m using MakeMKV and MKVToolnix 5.8.0 where necessary. I’m merely pointing that out your problem does not necessarily have to be related to the VC-1 codec but to a general 24 FPS problem WD is trying to fix. You could upload a small sample clip (split with MKVToolnix) to sendspace.com so we can try it on our equipment.

Every other BD with AVC Codec runs fine with 24p and my TV definatly supports it:wink:

It not runs perfectly smooth but nearly (almost good enough to live with it) but i mean on my old gen.2 playback was marginally smoother but up close, the Jerky Playback i have only with the VC-1 Files is something different it shrugs every 2-3 seconds  :dizzy_face:

Here is a sample-clip

Ok, first I think you are confusing FPS (frames per second) and Hz (refresh rate).  Having a file that is 24p doesn’t mean that your TV or SMP Hz should be @ 24Hz.

Second, you say that the issue is with mkvs that you muxed with mkvtoolnix, but goes away with you convert to m2ts. So most likely the issue is with how your are muxing the video.

So here’s what you can do.  Since you are using AnyDvd, take one of the videos you are having issues with and  create an ISO with ImgBurn.  Then check to see if have the same issue with the ISO.

If you don’t, then use MediaInfo to get the info of both the ISO and the offending mkv and post both here.

Tinwarble - if what you say is true why does the TV change to 24hz when you play a 24fps film and you have match frame rate on?