WDTV Live - random avi files being converted to folders

TheBigSimon your tool not found for my file .jpg and .mp4 “folders”. Only create a folder named wdPatch and empty ;(

I have had no luck with Big Simons Program, anyone else have any ideas? 

I get the error msg. “No files to patch !” selecting any and all my files made folders using WDfilepatch.   Help?

swddf, I’ve booted to Lubuntu (bootable CD), can see the affected files in same locations where there were only 0kb folders in windows.  The files still show a folder icon, but have a legitimate file size indicated next to them.  But when I try to copy to another mounted drive or within the same drive, I get error message.  Am I missing something I need to do to get the files copyable?

Also, the file/folder I’m most interested in recovering was mistakenly deleted by me in Windows .  I thought I was deleting a copy of the MT folder/file I made to another drive to work on it, but actually deleted the original one on the drive messed-up by WDTV.   Is there any way I can still get this one back?  There’s nothing in the recycle bin, and although I put back the copied version to the affected drive in same location, Lubuntu shows this one as having 0 size. 

to recover files, if the drive no longer write new information, searches google recuva program…

Hi peto2x

Looked up the Recuva program on Google. But can this one help us recover the files converted to folders?

This program mainly seems to be able to recover deleted files. There is a free version available so I guess I would just try it out.

couple of other program links i found on this page  (FixWDFolders or WDPatchRecovery)

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?PHPSESSID=mhk61t34dajuqa0confrc7s5p6&topic=10958.15

i don’t know if they work as i own a live hub and don’t have this problem

yes VSG12777, the program recuva is responding to the request for wevowva :wink:

Thanks, peto2x.  Tried Recuva but it couldn’t find a deleted file or folder in the location I deleted it from, even in the deep scan mode.  

Would converting my 1TB drive to FAT32 “fix” the problem? I only have a couple files I’d have to move because they are bigger than 4GB, the FAT32 file size limit…

I have a WDTV live - was running firmware v 1.04xx - I plugged it into network and updated to 1.06_43V so that we could play some later .mkv and .mp4 encodes.

After about a week of use, one of the HDD wasn’t being recognised, and some files were appearing corrupted on windows (file turned to folder and no RW permissions).

(((( We had to unplug all usb to boot the WD and then it recognised just one of the HDD when we plugged both USB in. ))))

(((( Both drives have been affected but mostly just the larger 2TB one we played most of the videos off ))))

Plugging it into a Ubuntu PC - it appears perfectly fine - no problem with the files at all.

Reading the rest of these comments - it appears that it is definitely a bug with the latest firmware.

So have you identified “newer” MKVs that do not play on older firmwares?

It’s not so much the file container really - more the filters used to encode the file. I was using a firmware that was at least a few years old so updated to the latest.

Does anyone know how to update the firmware manually ? I had already downloaded 1.5xx onto a usb before but it failed to recognise - that’s why I ended up doing the update to 1.06 over network.

BTW we were able to recover the files so Windows can read but the problem with the old files is they still appear as folders with permissions issues and non-deletable.

For a manual update put all files from the firmware zip on the root of an USB stick formatted to FAT32 or NTFS. The number in the VER file must be greater than the one installed. If it still isn’t recognized you appear to be flashing the firmware for the wrong player.

Okay, after reading 16 pages of posts if I am still crazy enough to buy this corrupted WD product that WD doesn’t seem to want to fix, what do I do out of the box to prevent all of the corruption problems I am hearing about?

thanks

Nothing cause I’ve only read one or two reports of this ever happening on the current models and there were no follow-ups.

Hi download and use my programs it work for all kind of file. After if you don’t want any problem go to manage video on your WD and don’t set the preview mode. 

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=5DCED83AB911926A&resid=5DCED83AB911926A%21395&authkey=AE27sU9jf-Gl6PI

Can someone tell me how to properly roll back to 1.6.16 or .15

I have the following three files on the root directory of usb thumb drive:

wdtvlive2.bin

wdtvlive2.fff

wdtvlive2.ver

All from zip file called 1.06.16

Is that all i need to do for the player to see the update?

:

TheBigSimon wrote:

This my last update of my WDPatchRecovery, this one work better !

WD PAtch Recovery

Thank you for your help!

I used the tool to recover my mp3, AVI & PLAYLIST FOLDERS

It worked wonders to recover my mp3 files, however I could not recover AVI & PLAYLIST folders.

When I use for these folders the programme shows “converted sucssesfully” but really it is not.

I can not delete also the said folders in order to replace them with my backed up data.

More over how to batch convert the files ? I converted the mp3 files one by one, since they were few in numbers.