WDTV Live - random avi files being converted to folders

Hi Big Simon,

thank you for this helpful little proggy. Do you mind sharing with us what is the actual problem with these files? Does some file descriptor or something else in the file header gets corrupted, or something else? One would think it’s something minor, windows specific, because linux can read it without any problems. Although, recently, linux couldn’t read these corrupted files (i.e. 0 kb) folders. When I tried to copy them, the OS would report an I/O error. So any sharing of  knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BTW, are you familiar with this “alternative” to your prog, being mentioned in this discussion?

http://www.eggcentric.com/FixWDFolders.htm

Is it legit?

Just posting back again since I’m still having the issue.

Eventually tried Big Simon’s program and got mixed results. With one folder of three files, it converted them back and I can see them but have no audio. With two others once the program got to 100% I got a windows (7 x64) error that the program has stopped working. The “folders” were then erased from the drive. Restarted the laptop I was using and tried with another file and this restored with audio.

Luckily enough I’m able to get other copies of the files so can restore them back however to prevent this I won’t be storing anything non-replacable on this drive while it’s being used with the WD TV live.

Big Simon’s program is quicker than using the linux OS to copy and then copy back to the drive but since that method has worked everytime I’ve done it I might use that. However thanks to Big Simon for the program. HAve also tried the WDfilepatch program that’s also been linked in this thread and it failed with the one file I tried it with. Other’s may have used it and got success.

I just dont’ know if the fact I’m using Win 7 x64 makes a difference with the files I try to restore I might see if I can get an XP machine to test. However it’s getting ridiculous now I have a linux laptop, win 7 x64 laptop and soon a Win XP laptop to work on restoring files being courrpted by this stupid device. Doubt many others would got to this lengths, my eventually goal is to replace the device but not sure with what device.

No, others probably already reverted to 1.06.15.

It has now been over 2 months since I re-formmated my drive.  It has been in daily use since and I’ve had no re-occurance of the problem.  I’m not saying re-formmatting fixed the problem as others still have the issue after reformatting.  Just odd.

You’llmonly find them if you try to open them. I.e. movies you don’t view may be bad. I found the problem at first by doing a regular verification using MD5 checksums

Have anyone tryed to turn files and folders to read only to see if it prevent WD TV from changing it?

I don’t suppose it would change anything, as the error already violates the rules of the disk system

Hi, use WD Patch Recovery to reconvert your file, connect your HDD to the computer and run the program, choose the folder and patch it ! I use it every day and it works.

Enjoy :smiley:

WD PAtch Recovery

Hi, I don’t know why the WD convert file, I use the WD Patch Recovery and it works for me ! So don’t pay for an other program, mine is free and I will send an update in a few day !

Here’s my update for my tool WDPatchRecovery ! I have use it today on my HDD and it works very good !

Enjoy :smiley:

WD PAtch Recovery

Hello! My WDTV Live does the same thing :angry: Some of my AVI files were changed to empty folders too. I think you may try this and you will see that those corupted AVI files aren’t lost for good. It worked for me and I was able to watch my corrupted AVI (folder) files like any normal video. First you must have installed the BSPlayer or any similar madia player on your PC which can put itself in the Windows Explorers’ right-click context menu. Connect your ext. USB disc to your PC and run Windows Explorer. Right click on the corrupted folder with .AVI extension and choose the “Enqueue in BSPlayer” or “Play in BSPlayer” command. The video will be recognized and played by BSPlayer :smiley: Cheers!

Hello Simon

I tried your updated program now, but it does not work with my JPG file which has been converted to a folder.

When I browse to the folder containing this file, it says No File to Patch.

When I select the jpg file itself which has been converted to a folder, it still gives me the same message.

What do I do now?

Try this new update it will work on your jpg file and other format !

WDPatchRecovery

Try this its working !

WDPatchRecovery

I’ve had the same problem too. Once it changes the media files to folders, they can’t be deleted. It will say that the folder is too large for the destination recycle bin when I try.

One thing I’ve noticed is that if you use a WD My Passport external hard drive, this is far less likely to happen. Since using that, this has rarely happened again. It only happens when you use other brands of external hard drives.

This my last update of my WDPatchRecovery, this one work better !

WD PAtch Recovery

Great tool! It realy restores all corrupted files.

Do you mind to share the source code an GitHub or smth like that?

I don’t think but you can share the tool with other people:wink:

A pity, i’d like to look how you did it, just intresting. The repair time of file depends on it’s size, you have to copy data somewhere before erasing “folder” and re-create a file then, right?

Btw, when i ran your tool through the entire drive there were some (not many but still) files which remained folders.

Don’t use use it on entire drive select folder that contain file that you want to repair cause it take to much time to recovery large file has movie… And and how the tool work its very simple, I read the data of the file byte by byte and recreate the file to an another folder and replace the corupted file by new one that was created by the tool…