WDTV Live - random avi files being converted to folders

Don’t worry about the program I made, I have use it on my HD and all of my file was recovery.

WD PAtch Recovery

Folks, BigSimon’s program works perfectly. I have recovered 3 of the big 10GB+ blu ray rips using his program. If the file is bigger in size, it does take longer, but it works. 

Go ahead and use the program. Thanks a lot Simon!

Has anyone expirienced broken movie after the copy-paste of the movies transformed into folders?

I copied my movies into ubuntu and then back to the 1TB external WD HDD, but when I play one of them, it goes frame-frame and the sound goes missing… after a while it gets fixed but then the same…

I have downgraded my firmware to 1.05.04.

Just use Simon’s new program to get your folders converted back to proper movie files or whatever they were before they were converted to folders. It works perfectly.

I would, but I already did the copy-paste through Ubuntu and my files are now back to normal…

I used the WDfilepatch  from TheBigSimon and it worked perfectly on some JPGs, but it doesn’t seem to work on any of the avis or any of the files in my roots directory (mp3, jpgs, ico)

ANy ideas why it isn’t working for me on certain directories/files?

EDIT:  Nevermind, had to run as administrator.  BOOM.  Perfect.  Awesome work to fix the problem, if only you could work for WD.

That utility worked great for me no issues. Brought my 1tb drive up to my pc.
Anyone else notice a lot of file have attributes changed, and are hidden also?

Tried the WD Patch Recovery program on one of my 2TB Seagate drives.

I had no success. Every time I ran it, I’d get a message box telling me that the program had stopped working.

I’m running a 64 bit version of Win 7 Home Premium SP1, and I tried it in normal run mode and as “run as administrator”, and both produced the same results. Haven’t tried it on my other two drives yet.

I have Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit and it worked fine for me. I did get the message once, but I closed some programs and tried, and it worked fine. I could recover even huge 9GB and 10GB MKVs using the program. Thanks a ton to Simon.

I’ll try again after a reboot and see how it goes.

Try to select file by file or select only the folder that contains file who was converted.

Try to select only the file or the folder that contain the files you want to recovery, Personaly I use the program everyday on picture, avi, mkv or anything else.

First time I used, had maybe 4 or 5 bad files in a dir of 20 or so other files. Worked flawlessly.
Ran it in another dir same scenario, perfect again
Took drive back downstairs to WD box with a new movie to watch, before I had time to change firmware back. Movie was messed when I went to watch it. Only one that got screwed up of course. Lol
Anyways, took it upstairs next day, and I got same error, just quit. Kept trying, no luck, maybe 10 times, even reboot. Tried the unbutu thingy for fun, worked great. There was one more file I did fing deep in a dir later, and the program simon made ran fine.
Just my two cents. If you had a mass amount of files messed, and Simons ran just once, what lifesaver for someone who isn’t comfortable with the other sceanario

I have the same probem with “UEBO”, not wd tv live plus… 

i lost at least 30 movies , I have no idea how to fix this…

Tried the WDFilePatch again, but this time on a freshly built Win XP machine (pretty basic, 2.8GHz P4/512MB RAM)

The WDFilePatch.exe program wouldn’t load. It came up with the error message “The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135).”

I tried re-extracting the RAR file in case there’d been corruption, but got the same error message.

It is possible that the fact that the XP Machine is headless (no keyboard, mouse, or monitor attached) and is being controlled via a VNC program may have had something to do with the error, but I don’t know.

I tried the FixWDFolders program from , and it worked perfectly on all 3 drives (even when run via the VNC connection).

Hello, first of all sorry for my English (I am from Mexico), I have 2 WD TV Live Plus and I am experimenting the same problem of files being converted to folders in one of my Seagate portable external hard drive, especially with jpg and mp4 files (but also with other kinds of files). One of the tricks I been used with the jpgs is that I copy (Ctrl C) in the jpg file, and then paste it in a word page, and the image appears (then I can copy again the image and save it). With the videos files the only way I can see them is using the VLC, I use put the mouse over the file and click in the “open with the VLC player” and then the video start normal, but then to copy again the video as a new file is a very large process, so I hope I can use the big Simon Program. (however I hope this tricks can help to anyone)

To erase or delete the corrupted file I only use the “Unlocker” program (select the file, and select to use Unlocker and then select delete).

I have the 1.06.42_B firmware, so I’m going to try to rollback to version 1.06.16_B and see if that works,  but I wanted to know if someone could please pass me the program BigSimon did, ( I wrote to him but I don’t know  if he is going to see my message) I would appreciate someone could pass that program.

Thanks you all for sharing tips and strategies, and since WD has abandoned us, I hope that together we can solve these problems. Thanks and regards, reading this post I’ll be waiting for news

Ok first of all mention that BigSimon program works perfectly, thanks BigSimon for your important contribution and for your time, your program is very helpful.

About the WDTV Live Plus I did the downgrade to the 1.06.16_B version (I hope that this resolve the problem)

First I download a version of some site and it turned to be bad, so I had to download it from the official website, as i read around this post, I just download the version 1.06 _B .42, but only change the direction of the taskbar at the end by 1.06.16_B and the download was ready, then I had to open the “wdtvlive2.ver” file with the notepad and change the name of the version by a newer, just like: 2.06.16_B, so then the WDTVlive plus recognized the upgrade as a “new one” and let me do the “upgrade” (that was really the downgrade to 1.06.16_B) , I hope I could explained myself well in English.

Thank you all for the support and I’ll keep reading the post waiting for news, greetings

Plug drive into computer

cut and paste one file (folder) anywhere on drive

It will be converted back.

Then just put it back where it was. By doing this to just one file in a directory, generally all files in directory will convert back and gain function.

Plug drive into computer and cut and paste file (folder) anywhere on drive. It will be converted back. Then just put it back where it was. By doing this to just one file in a directory, generally all files in directory will convert back and gain function.

Hi there,

I am also having problems with this issue, WDTV Live, two HDDs, one is WD elements 1GB 3.5’’ USB2.0, the other is Adata CH11 512 GB USB3.0. Today I successfully ran WDFilePatch, thanks Big Simon.

I have an idea to try for prevention, and that is to try HFS+ filesystem on HDD. WDTV Live supports this FS (Mac OS filesystem). I have found this program (MacDrive) which should work under WIndows, it can create, write and read from an HFS+ partition. Maybe, just maybe, this can prevent WDTV Live from corrupting the files. I wil definitely give it a try, and report back here the results.