WDTV Live - random avi files being converted to folders

That is interesting about turning off the preview mode, which should only be reading [not writing to/modifying the files or filesystem].  I would have placed my bet on the ntfs compatibility driver used by the foundation operating system WD built their media player environment on.  I never had preview mode enabled and recall about 80 files affected on one drive.  I had two 2TB WD elements drives connected to WDTV Live at the time and two 1TB WD elements drives connected to another.

I came across this problem two years ago and after going through the motions with forum trial and error attempts in resolving the problem opted for a workaround perhaps worth considering by others, as follows:

As I have more than one WDTV live player in my domecile, I chose to improvise with a client-server solution.

I set up an old windows xp pro netbook computer I had lying around with two methods:

1. SHARED NETWORK:

I set up three shared usb drives - the netbook has a unique user account for each media player with read-only access to the shared drives.  This resolves the problem as the clients do not have the permission to write/modify any files from the shared network storage resources.

Windoze allows max 5 concurrent smb client access, which is ok as we have 4 player devices (only 2 are WD).I reserve the 5th smb client access for uploading new material from two PCs of which the laptop recognizes two user accounts with full write access.

1. MEDIA SERVER

I also installed/configured a freely available DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server called “Universal Media Server” from sourceforge that works well although the netbook is old and thus not the fastest processing power.

1. POWER

The server is set so that it powers down the drives after 30 minutes of inactivity.

1. REMOTE ADMIN

To manage the netbook remotely I use RealVNC from my computer which is very rarely as most of the work is transferring files across, deleting and moving files around.

1. ROUTER

The router’s DHCP service is set to assign specific IP addresses to each device as well as the laptop, so the windows name resolution does not point to an old IP address no longer assigned to the device after it has rebooted - a common error that indicates this with XP is “user authentication failure” such as “incorrect user login or password” or “no media files present” [misleading errors].

ALTERNATIVES I have not yet tried is sharing drives out on a router’s usb port or network address storage devices.

What does turn me off these are:

a) spaning filesystems across multiple drives on NAS and using non-windows/mac filesystems [operating systems are linux distributions] making it difficult to recover files by novice users under circumstances similar to this one;

b) one whould have to distinguish if different user accounts can be set up with read only access while an admin account has full read/write/modify access via network shares.

c) routers usually only have one usb port for one drive/printrer and the processing power would need to be tested with regards to stability and capacity (concurrent players).

Never used preview mode, lots of files destroyed. I solved it by reverting to 1.05.04

Hi Folks,

i was wondering where i can download the 1.05.04 Firmware to do a rollback.

from WD i only found this information

Due to the upcoming final release, we will not be able to support rolling back firmware to any other version than the previous version (1.06.15_V or 1.06.16_B)

I found another archive from WD with the older versions to download uncompiled and a compiler that runs on linux,

are there other posibilities to download the older firmware do a rollback?

or is there still hope that WD doesnt let the users with this f**** failure alone??

greets!

Hello

I have many files jpg and m3u that WDFilePatch.exe can’t restore. the Big problem is that i can’t delete this folders.

Have you a solution to delete the folders that an’t be restore to files ?

(i have a copy of the files, i just want to delete the folders)

Thanks

revilo59 wrote:  I have many files jpg and m3u that WDFilePatch.exe can’t restore

that’s not surprising since the WDFilePatch software was programmed to deal with AVI files coneverted to folders

if you have jpg, m3u folders you can’t delete … check their permissions (are they “Read Only” … if so archive them, aka un-check Read Only)

Here’s an update with new extension like .m3u and .jpg and lot more, download and replace old one by this one. I’m using this tool every day on my HDD and it work everytime. Remember don’t use on network drive, the HDD must be connected to your PC to recover the file 

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=5DCED83AB911926A&resid=5DCED83AB911926A%21395&authkey=AE27sU9jf-Gl6PI:smiley:

I send a new update to the comunity try it !

thanks simon …

says … “this item won’t load right now”   (and when you click on it … you have the option to sign-up or sign-in … not very user friendly when trying to access a simple download)

try mediafire … quick and easy for everyone

https://www.mediafire.com/

Hey guys there is a solution to recover your files.

Download and burn an UBUNTU disk, its free and you do NOT have to install, you can run from disk.

Don’t worry, its a lot like windows so its easy to use.

http://ubuntu.en.softonic.com/download

In windoiws create a folder  on your C drive, call it “recovery”.

Now boot up your computer using the UBUNTU disk and run UBUNTU from the disk, no install needed.

Now copy any files from your external drive to the recovery folder and they will be repaired.

Now shut down and remove UBUNTU disk, restart windows.

Go to the recovery folder and there are your files all fixed, delete the stupid “folder” files from the external drive and replace with the fixed files.

Cheers all.

BTW I have recovered all my files this way, so I KNOW it works.

I will be coming back and pasting this again for anyone that needs help.

Even if files are recovered using patch etc., the files get corrupted repetedly. It is frustrating !!

Finally I rolled back firmware version to 1.06.15_V.

Now the files don’t get converted / corrupted.

But now the mp4, AVI and flv files are not playing !!

Any solution to this? 

Thanks al lot Snapdragon. It worked perfectly and restored alle files, including several unique irreplaceble children movies that my little girl wanted back.

1 Like

Your very welcome, we all know that sinking feeling of loosing vid files.

I came across this fix and just had to share it :slight_smile:

Cheers

Well, I’m glad it helped someone, but it’s nothing new, we have discussed that option before in this thread. The problem is that even Ubuntu or some other live, installed or even virtual linux OS can’t help always. I’ve had a share of files that Ubuntu couldn’t copy to ‘rescue’ folder, it would just spit an I/O error message. And those files were gone for good.

As for that little proggy from BigSimon, also not 100% effective, I’ve already written about missing audio from some converted files.

BTW, my WDTV is still behaving after that ‘Preview mode set to OFF’ thing. It’s bizarre that it’s not universal solution, just as swithin’ back to older firmware didn’t help everybody.

I’m no longer an optimist about this bug, but I bother less every day. The WDTV was certainly worth the money, but we have to move on. The new Raspberry Pi with XBMC s/w will probably be it.

I can’t believe this topic is still going over two years after I posted about it. Never got such tracition from *any* forum post in any forum I’ve posted in.

Thanks to all those that have posted solutions to the problem, it’s annoying that it will never be fixed by WD at this stage. Lucky enough it only happens to a few files at a time so I keep an eye on it and recovery options seem to be working at this stage. Long term solution is always better than workaround but at least there is a workaround.

Still hoping at some point to replace this media player with another device so if anyone has any suggestions for a replacement, at this point still willing to use WD products, I’d appriciate the input. It’d be good to know for anyone that has a newer model if they never get this issue or it’s still around so I know what models to avoid.

Never get this issue on the SMP nor the current model.

After I posted my issue with firmware ver.1.06.43_V & rolling back to ver.1.06.15_V. etc., I got a telephonic call from customer support representative (Indian support team)

I explained the the issue verbally as well as sent a mail as requested by the rep. I am still awaiting their reply.

After I get a feedback, I will report it on the forum.

A very simple fix found!

Appears this problem hasn’t magically gone away as I had about 25 jpg files in one folder convert themselves into folders. Went through the standard steps to fix the problem such as plugging the drive into a windows PC and scanning and repairing the drive and was a no go. Plugged it into my MacBook and the files were good and I could open them in GIMP. Plugged the drive back into the WDTV and they’re no good again. Did the Google search and found this topic. So here’s my fix.

Step 1. Note the corrupted file names.
Step 2. Plug HDD into a Mac and copy the corrupted files into a new folder on the desktop.
Step 3. Eject the HDD and plug it back into WDTV and wait for it to scan.
Step 4. Using a Mac, open Network share and locate the WDTV and copy the files from your desktop back into their locations in the WDTV. It will ask if you want to overwrite the existing files? Select yes to all and your good to go.
SOLVED!

Hi Simon. First of all a big THANKS for your Fix - your Tool worked like a charm on all my corrupted m3u playlist files :smiley:

Now I do have one favour to ask… In my case also .cue files are affected. Do you think you could compile a new version which also fixes .cue files? That would be great!

Oh yeah, and one more thing, where exactly can I find the “Preview Setting” that I should disable to prevent future file corruption? Do you mean the Preview / Thumbnail / List Mode for Audio, Video & Pictures? Or must I look somewhere else?

Hope you’re still out there and Thanks again for your help! :+1:

Hi ! here’s a new update of my tool to recovery file, enjoy :wink:
http://1drv.ms/1Yd3v6N

I have the same issue as well. Initially I thought it was the WD drive that was the cause of the problem - I upgraded the firmware on it , reformatted the drive, put files back on, but the issue continues.

I’ll have to try switching off preview mode as mentioned.

In terms of a slightly quicker fixing - I have found that you don’t have to remove the drive from the WDTV.

I have a 2nd WD drive plugged into my modem, and I found that if I copy the files from the WDTV to the modem across the network (via by debian box) they fix themselves on the way over.

You can then delete and copy back again.

I’d assume you could copy straight onto a linux box itself - should try it.