WDTV Live Plus


#1

So the difference between WDTV Live Plus and WDTV Live is in only two things (according to comparison table on WD site):

WDTV Live Plus supports Netflix – but in US only, so means nothing to me

AND it supports DVD navigation - the feature I always wanted. If this means I have to buy new unit to get this feature – all I can say is *&$# *#@ and it’s not going to happen!

Wander if Plus firmware can be flushed to Live


#2

I noticed the suggested price for the WD TV Live  and the WD TV Live Plus are the same.


#3

Hi mrkeeling, welcome to the forum.  :)

Surprised nobody mentioned this yet:  the latest prerelease firmware for the Live adds DVD menus!

You can check it out here:

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_prerelease/

Or wait for the next official release.  Essentially, the prerelease shows that WD are giving existing Live users every additional feature the Live Plus offers, apart from Netflix  (so you also get MediaFly support in the new firmware).

I’m not sure why the website comparison table neglects to mention DVD Menu support.  

The Live Plus firmware is incompatible with the Live, this has been confirmed by WD staff.  The only additional feature (Netflix) will allegedly not work on the Live hardware.

Hope that helps and makes you feel a little better about your purchase.  ;)


#4

They’re probably not going to update the table UNTIL the Firmware becomes General Deployment instead of Beta.

The Beta isn’t advertised except here, and word-of-mouth.


#5

TonyPh12345 wrote:

They’re probably not going to update the table UNTIL the Firmware becomes General Deployment instead of Beta.

 

The Beta isn’t advertised except here, and word-of-mouth.

 

 

That is correct.


#6

Dear all,

I think this product WDTV Live Plus, does not add any relevant feature compared with WD TV LIVE.

I sincerely hope that the arrival of this new product, does not cause the abandonment of WD, the launch of new firmware releases for WD TV LIVE.


#7

The people who want NETFLIX will disagree with you…


#8

US people, what about the rest of the world?


#9

The Live+ isn’t available for the rest of the world, so your problem is solved.  :)


#10

Ok TonyPh12345, problem solved,

But it was necessary to create a new product to give support to NETFLIX?

A new firmware release for WD TV LIVE wouldnt be enough, and get the job done?


#11

The Sigma processor in the WD TV Live doesn’t have sufficient hardware support for copy protection / macrovision.

It’s impossible to do it in software.  The new Live Plus has a Sigma processor that supports copy protection in hardware.

To give US customers Netflix support, a new unit was necessary.

And it works really well.  ;)


#12

diogoni wrote:

But it was necessary to create a new product to give support to NETFLIX?

A new firmware release for WD TV LIVE wouldnt be enough, and get the job done?

 

Apparently not, or they wouldn’t have gone to all the trouble of engineering yet another product (it wouldn’t have been cost efficient to do so, and companies are ALL about cost efficiency).

There was a lot of discussion on whether this could be done in software and whether or not even if it *could* be done that Netflix would have permitted it, but for me the easy proof is that WD went to all this trouble.  Given there is no price difference between the two units, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever that WD would do this extra work (and incur extra expense) if it could be done via software only.


#13

Not clear why then they had to call this new device the plus if the only gain was netflix. It infers a considerable improvement in the device which is not evident. I think a less offensive name would have been nice :wink:


#14

kosh2 wrote:

Not clear why then they had to call this new device the plus if the only gain was netflix. It infers a considerable improvement in the device which is not evident. I think a less offensive name would have been nice :wink:

I think it means plus (netflix)


#15

Perhaps “TV LIve plus minus” then to reflex its firmware nuances. :smiley:


#16

If the difference for Live+ is the Macrovision, then that explains why the firmware update can not turn Live into Live+. There are always two version of the same chip for Sigma, one with Macrovision and one without. You have to pay the loyalty on the ones with Macrovision too.

On the other hand, Macrovision only works for analog TV. So in today’s world, who needs that?


#17

HD_fans wrote:

 

On the other hand, Macrovision only works for analog TV. So in today’s world, who needs that?

That’s not at all true.  There are forms of Macrovision protection that are implemented in Component (which is also analog, by the way)  HDMI can carry a “Do Not Copy” flag in the bitstream, but I’m not sure if that’s a Macrovision thing or not…


#18

  I agree with you on this, I am really POed about the WD TV Live Plus, I had just asked WD about being able to view movies via Netflix about two months ago and I do feel the changes for Netflix could have been done with a software update, this is just WD’s way of trying to make more money.  Greed is the worst thing in thei world and will be the downfall of this world.  It will hurt them in the end, no one will buy WD products, I know I never will.  There are too many other companies who make the same great products.


#19

  MKKelly must work for WD, if not they should hire him as the propaganda man.


#20

Raybug wrote:

  I agree with you on this, I am really POed about the WD TV Live Plus, I had just asked WD about being able to view movies via Netflix about two months ago and I do feel the changes for Netflix could have been done with a software update, this is just WD’s way of trying to make more money.  Greed is the worst thing in thei world and will be the downfall of this world.  It will hurt them in the end, no one will buy WD products, I know I never will.  There are too many other companies who make the same great products.

I totally understand you being upset but the reasons for a new unit have been covered many times already, both here and on the homebrew scene forums (who certainly can’t be accused of being WD mouthpieces). 

The condensed version as I understand it is as follows (feel free to correct me on this):

  • Netflix decides who and what can access their content.
  • Netflix decides how that content must be accessed and stipulates minimum levels of content protection in hardware for set-top boxes. The Sigma chip in the Live has no such features in hardware.
  • The only platform that is allowed to use software content protection is the PC platform, which does so via Microsoft’s SilverLight.
  • SilverLight currently won’t work on a Linux based box like the WD Live.
  • Syabas, makers of Popcorn Hour and the upcoming Popbox, have similarly had to withdraw support for Netflix.  They also used a Sigma chip without content protection.
  • B-rad, WDLXTV firmware guru, has himself pointed out the hardware differences and declared it to be impossible to accomplish in software.  His sole reason for existence (seemingly) is to add cool new features to the Live.  If it could be done, he’d be the first to shout about it.

There’s no conspiracy here, just a very disappointing set of circumstances.

As for Mike working for WD, he’s currently got a Popbox on pre-order.  ;)