WDTV Live Plus Limited Public Beta Firmware Version 1.03.43_B (10/19/10)

Just purchased New WDTV Live Plus, after installing using an HDMI Cable to the TV I experience Audio drop.  It cuts out for a 1/2 a second after about 3 min of play and intermittently repeats cutting out for just a brief second throughout the length of the video.   This happens on every video media source I have tried (Flash Drive, USB Passport, NAS, Media Server, and Netflix), as well as many different files and file formats. Being that Video is the purpose for me purchasing the drive I researched and found the Beta Firmware update.

I Updated Firmware to new  Beta Firmware Version 1.03.43_B without any issue (after I found correct file, kept trying to use WDTVLive only and finally found WDTVLiveplus version)  no issues with Update, everything seems to work the same (including Netflix) however the audio still cuts out same as before.

I welcome any suggestions!

Thank you

PRO_EDGE wrote:

Just purchased New WDTV Live Plus, after installing using an HDMI Cable to the TV I experience Audio drop.  It cuts out for a 1/2 a second after about 3 min of play and intermittently repeats cutting out for just a brief second throughout the length of the video.   This happens on every video media source I have tried (Flash Drive, USB Passport, NAS, Media Server, and Netflix), as well as many different files and file formats. Being that Video is the purpose for me purchasing the drive I researched and found the Beta Firmware update.

I Updated Firmware to new  Beta Firmware Version 1.03.43_B without any issue (after I found correct file, kept trying to use WDTVLive only and finally found WDTVLiveplus version)  no issues with Update, everything seems to work the same (including Netflix) however the audio still cuts out same as before.

I welcome any suggestions!

Thank you

Have you tried using a composite lead to see if you still have problems.

Have you tried resetting the unit via the side paperclip button and for good measure via the ‘reset to defaults’ in the internal menu.

You could post the mediainfo for one of the offending files.

This could very well be a bad HDMI connection or bad cable.   Usually that would cause video issues as well, but not always… 

Also, what kind of TV (Make and Model) is this?

NETFLIX

Along with my other post about no adaptive streaming for HD content on Netflix (HD only, no choice and bandwidth is a problem); this firmware flash has issues with Netflix crashing. It appears that when my bandwidth gets sapped and the WDTV has to rebuffer the stream, it will crash 75% of the time. I just get a black screen. Last beta had the same issue. I have left it alone for a half hour with no resolve. It requires a hard boot; can’t STOP, go BACK or go HOME, can’t POWER down - it just locks up.

Never had any of the HDMI issues described in any flash. HDMI has always been solid for me, 1080p.

WDTVLIVE+ 1.03.43_B

Panasonic PT-AE4000U

This fix appears to have fixed an audio problem that I was having with certain blu-ray iso files, such as “How to Train Your Dragon”.  These files were copied using DVDFab and would have audio breaks in the main track, however the alternate tracks would play fine.

As far as the HDMI negotiation problem goes, this will take a few days to check out.  What I had been experiencing was: When switching to other sources on my audio  receiver, then switching back to the WDTV Live Plus, I would get no audio or video and would have to recycle the power on the WDTV Live Plus.

Equipment:  WD Live Plus (upgraded to 1.03.43_B from 1.03.29_B), 2 WD Elements 2TB USB HD, Onyko TX-NR708 Reciever, Mitsuibishi 73738 DLP TV, Synology DS410 8TB NAS

No luck with HDMI output after beta update.  I can use the component, but I prefer the HDMI. Please help. I did the paper clip restart( after waiting a few minutes), but no luck. Thanks. Everything else seems to be ok.

Here’s my experience using my Live Plus connected via HDMI:

I had been experiencing various Netflix freezes/crashes, and the failure to remember the 1080p @ 60Hz setting, with the previous releases of the firmware.  After upgrading to 1.03.43_B, the unit would still have problems displaying video at 1080p, including various video noise-like artifiacts on the menu screens, and/or crashing or blinking screens on Netflix.

It turned out to be a poor quality HDMI cable.  I tried two samples of a cheap 3 ft. cable from online merchant “N”, labeled as HDMI 1.3 compliant, appearing to be 28ga or thinner wire, and no ferrite cores.  Both behaved the same way, but would work at 720p.  I replaced them with a higher-quality (and also inexpensive) “3FT 24AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI Cable w/ Net Jacket” cable from online merchant “M”, added a pair of ferrite cores (didn’t test to see if this mattered), and the 1080p video now works perfectly.  The only problem with this cable is that it is very stiff, but I can live with that.

Moral of the story:  there’s inexpensive HDMI cables, and there’s cheap junk HDMI cables.  If you are still having trouble with your Live Plus, you may want to try replacing your HDMI cable with a higher-quality product.

This fixed M4V container issues for me.

Setup:

1. Using **wired** streaming using Twonky uPnP server OR using ** wired** networked mounted folders

2) M4V files generated from my personal DVDs compressed using Handbrake with high profile (AAC audio only, no wierd settings)

Problem with non-beta firmware:

1. **ALL** M4V files judder using WD TV Live Plus, but are played silky smooth when streamed to PS3, Asus 0!Play, and on computer.

2. Oddly, the same M4Vs repackaged (***NOT re-encoded***) via MKVMerge into MKV files played perfectly smooth  by WD TV Live Plus.(Thats the same video and audio streams simply moved into the MKV container!)

Beta firmward fixes the M4V judder.  So far, no problems with Netflix, but have only used  the service for an roughly an hour.

It would seem the file is now pulled. Getting a 404, File Not Found.

I get occasional netflix hangs on .39, but on rare occasion, HDMI snow - could be a bad cable. Also experienced the blanks creen if the TV is off while the WD TV is powered up wanted to see if 43_B fixed that.

i am signed in, cant dload

It has now been several days since I installed the beta and have not had a single HDMI lockup, like I was having in 1.03.29.

Can someone please post an alternative link since the original link is not working.

Thanks!

Please relink beta download link…it’s not working…i’d like to install and test out functionality…

thanks in advance ,

It seems that WD pulled the Limited Release Beta Firmware for the WDTV Live Plus.

Going to the WDTV Live Plus download page, come to a 404 error page now.

Can the current 1.03.43_B Firmware be put back onto the Forum? Or can anyone spare a copy?

I thought I had it, and the box would not recognize it. Now after reading some who used the WDTV live (only) firmware in error makes me wonder if I did the same.

Thx in advance!

Samsung 61" DLP HDTV (Using HDMI 1.3 cable)

Current Firmware: 1.03.39B

It appears that the link in the parent page for the download is incorrect.  It contains underscores where there should be dots.  Try this one:  http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvliveplus_1.03.43_B.zip

Still having hdmi problems…

I have been having constant problems with the Plus setting itself to the wrong video resolution/frequency when powering on (ongoing problem since I purchased it on 8-30-2010). Same problem with the original firmware 1.03.29_B, and beta version 1.03.39_B.  About 50% of the time the unit powers up set at 720p even though I have set it manually to 1080i 60Hz. My TV is a Panasonic TH-42PA20.

I installed 1.03.43_B, and for about a week the unit powered  up correctly at 1080i 60Hz. I was about to post here that the problem was fixed, but the next time that I turned it on, it had reset itself to 720p (my TV does not sync to 720p). I manually reset it to 1080i, but again the next day it powered up at 720p. For 3 days in a row, I repeated the same scenario…so this problem is still there. (Today however, it powered up correctly at 1080i).

Please do not take this the wrong way, but I do not understand why this problem is so hard to fix. If the WD box is set to HDMI (auto), the box should try to do auto negotiation/handshaking with the TV and set the resolution/frequency automatically. However, when the user sets the HDMI video output manually, the WD box should remember this setting and simply set the video output the same way when it powers up. No negotiation/handshaking should take place when the video output is set manually. The reason that people set it manually is because auto negotiation has failed. It seems like WD is spending a lot of time trying to get hdmi handshaking / auto negotiation working with all TVs instead of implementing the simple fix of just leaving it set manually to the previous setting.

Good night,

I wonder when will WDTV Live Plus Pass Through support for DTS-HD MA?

Do not take it anymore, I had the first version migrated to Live Plus and it also does not pass the HD audio to my reciver, he just plays the audio to DTS 2.0

I wonder if WD will add this, because I need this urgent appeal to my work, otherwise buy an HD Playon.

Thanks,

Ygor Soares

Rio de Janeiro - Brasil

Ygor:   Return it.   WD has told us that the DTS folks refuses to grant WD a license for DTS-HD on these products.   

But you say it just plays DTS 2.0.   That’s NOT correct.   The Live/Live+/Hub will play DTS 5.1, as long as you have an AVR or audio system capable of decoding it, and you set the Audio format to DIGITAL.

Tony,

He plays DTS 5.1 to my AVR by HDMI 1.3, forgiveness.

The problem is in DTS-HD MA 5.1 or 7.1 that do not play in any way for my AVR (Denon AVR-2311)

I’m thinking of abandoning the WD and switch to another manufacturer, since run several DTS-HD MA

I returned my WD TV Live after it would not ouptut HDMI consistently to my LG plasma.  I have a gift card and I may go back and get one and try this beta s/w, if this HDMI fix is supposed to be a fix to what I experienced.

http://idoneitmyself.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/no-hdmi-sound-from-wd-tv-live-plus-hd-media-player-on-lg-42pc3-dv/