WDTV LIve Plus - Intermittent Sound w/HDMI cable

Hi,

I’ve seen similar problems to mine below, but none quite the same.  I have a sneaking suspicion this is pretty common.

My WD Live Plus initially worked okay with the HDMI connection, but I would occasionally  (once or twice a day) have problems where sound would just disappear while using Netflix.  I could usually go to YouTube and play a video, then try to play an .mkv file, then a .vob file, and then just cycle power to the box.  Usually, one of these would restore the sound, with no rhyme or reason as to what or how.  Yes, I tried other HDMI cables with no change in behavior.  I have tried various manual HDMI settings.  I have tried resetting the box to factory defaults.  Nothing fixes this.  At this point I have become frustrated and just connected the POS with the composite cable, which provides acceptable results with no issues.  But, one reason I bought this box was the HDMI 1080p output, and it just doesn’t work reliably.

This looks a lot like a hardware issue with the HDMI driver, or a nasty firmware bug.  I contacted WD support and received this query back

I apologize for the inconvenience. The HDMI cable that you are using, it is 1.2 or 1.3?

To which I replied “HDMI 1.3”.  The service rep then sent the below reply

Please try a HDMI cable that is 1.2, if possible.

Okay, let me add that I’m an Electrical Engineer, and have actually looked up the HDMI 1.2 and 1.3 specs.  In no planet in this universe should a nominal HDMI 1.2 cable perform better than an HDMI 1.3 cable, especially considering that the WD Live Plus is an HDMI 1.3 compliant device.  So, I now have no expectations of help with this from WD.  If it was a firmware bug, I suspect a fix would be out by now.

Does anybody have any experience with a similar problem and a valid fix?   I’m grasping at straws here.

Thanks,

Welcome to the forums.

There are indeed handshaking issues with the HDMI output in Netflix.  WD is aware of them, and is working on them.  Beyond that there’s little left to say.

Thanks Mike, and I appreciate the information.  This is the most straightforward answer I’ve heard on this issue. 

If there is a fix for the HDMI issue, great.  If not, I can probably convince myself that the the box is worth having as-is with the composite output.