WDTV live plus component & rear projection tv

I have a 65" Mitsubishi rear proj. tv. I can use composite and everything works as expected. When I attempte to use the Component option (Red=Pr, Blue=Pb,Green=y, also used composite Red & White for audio, as per connection instructions from manual), I get Horizontal static like lines that are not viewable. Hence I cannot access the Settings/Audio-Video menu to make changes to the component options.

What is even worse, is that after failing to achieve a component connection, I attempt to return to the composite, and the screen is in B&W, and scrolling rapidly.  Reading the options is very difficult. I tried the reset on the side of the unit, it does restart the unit, but it does not default back to composite.  I thought that the unit was supposed to auto-sense the connection? It obviously doesn’t.

I was able to retrun to composite, only by going through the (rapidly scrolling, almost un-readable) menus, and selecting:

Settings__Audio\Video__Composite__NTSC. This took several attempts because the menus were all but un-readable, it was a matter of trial and error.

When I got to NTSC or PAL, and choose NTSC, the screen became visable again and I was promted to confirm my chioce of changing the video options. I chose OK, and It was back to Normal(composite video).

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to use my 65" tv with the component setup? ( I found some who said this is not possible)

2. Does the WDTV live PLUS really AUTO_SENSE the video connection?

3. Why doesn’t the RESET procedure default to COMPOSITE? (I’ve read that it’s should do that)

I can live with the COMPISITE video, but I would like to achieve 1080i (the best my tv is capable of). The TV works just fine, and I realize that it is outdated, but I’m not about to update my TV just to get the most out of the WDTVlivePLUS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Wimmer

1. If your TV does, indeed, support 480p or higher, then yes, the component connection should work fine.

2. No, the WD’s don’t autosense component / composite.   If there’s no HDMI cable, it will automatically choose composite, and you mush change it to component.

3.  It should… unless you have an HDMI cable connected.

Thanks for the response.

!. My TV supports 480i, 480p, and 1080i. These are the only formats it supports.

1. While connected thru composite (the only way I can so far), with only the composite cable connected, should I then change the Video input to component ( then 1080i, next YUV or RGB(RGB not YUV)? Then accept the change. Then Power off the unit., disconnect the Composite Video, Connect the Component cable, then restart the unit.

At this point it seems as though I should be viewing the home menu from the component  connection.

Maybe when I attempted to go to component the first time I chose the YUV option, which I understand is a PAL format, so when I reset the unit I was in the composite/PAL mode. LIke I said, I was able to change from PAL, to NTSC eventually.

1. I do not have an HDMI cable connected.  When I reset the unit I have to assume that it went back to Composite/PAL, because I had inadvertently choose YUV instead of RGB, in the component options menu.

Thanks again for your response.

YUV vs RGB does not change between PAL and NTSC.

Both PAL and NTSC support both YUV and RGB.

If your system is defaulting to PAL, you should try holding the RESET button down for 10 seconds – that forces a hardware switch between PAL and NTSC mode and changes the default.