WDTV Live not recognised by television when plugged in using HDMI

My WDTV Live box was working fine on the television in my bedroom, I moved the unit downstars and plugged it in to the television downstairs the televison recognised there was something plugged into the HDMI socket but the television says “NO SIGNAL”.  I plugged the box back into the television in my bedroom using HDMI, it then did not work.  I have never done any updates on the WDTV Live.  Is this a problem where I will need to return my WDTV Live or can this be easily solved?

Welcome to the forums.

There are sometimes HDMI handshaking issues.  First of all, make sure you’re using a quality 1.3 certified HDMI cable (doesn’t matter if it works with other things – you might get a new one from Best Buy just to try as you can always return it if it doesn’t help things).

Next try with composite or component.  If THAT works, then the odds are it is an HDMI issue.  You can also try resetting the Live (via paperclip) as well as unplugging for about ten minutes.  If you ARE able to get it back up in HDMI mode. try changing it from “auto” (the default) to a set resolution, like 1080p.

I went to try connecting with AV leads today and discovered that the WDTV live does not have sockets for this!! Any other ideas?

The WDTV Live has almost EVERY form of connection (except S-Video and SCART):   Composite (single lead), Component (Three-lead), Analog Audio (two lead), Digital Audio via Toslink or S/PDIF, and HDMI.

Did you notice the cables that came with the unit?

There is no yellow red and white connection on the back of my WDTV live!! Can anyone explain the process of reseting the box do  I press the paper clip bit when it is turn on or when it is off or unplugged?? Should everything be turned off when I plug in the HDMI to the televion and WDTV Live?

There is a 1/8" connection jack which you plug in the cable that came with the Live and it has yellow, red and white outs.  It’s the second one in from the right, if memory serves.

For resetting the unit must be plugged in and on to press the paperclip in the hole.

Should everything be turned off when I plug in the HDMI to the televion and WDTV Live?

Normally, this would be a good idea, as it would assure that the Startup HDMI handshaking (HDCP/EDID data exchange) occurs at the right time, but I don’t think it’s mandatory… 

I reset the unit this had no effect on the HDMI issue, i have connected the AV lead and this does work.  I have tried two HDMI leads and cant get it to work with either of them to work. Can I change the HDMI settings while its connected with the AV leads? Is there any other way I can solve this issue?  Should I return the unit to western digital?

grantsowerby wrote:

I reset the unit this had no effect on the HDMI issue, i have connected the AV lead and this does work.  I have tried two HDMI leads and cant get it to work with either of them to work. Can I change the HDMI settings while its connected with the AV leads? Is there any other way I can solve this issue?  Should I return the unit to western digital?

Go to the hdmi menu and change it from auto to say 720p. You can leave the AV lead in. When you have changed the setting switch to hdmi on your TV and see what happens. If that does not work switch back to the AV and try again.