WDTV Live Killer?

It supports component and HDMI along with analog and optical audio.

After reading the review below and watching the video it seems that the popbox is being subsidised by adverts which take up a large part of the screen.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/syabas-popbox-hands-on/

As long as there are no ads on the services you pay for (e.g. Netflix), I would not mind ads. I mean God, the thing pulls metadata of what you’re viewing… I could take a sidebar ad or two…

radio1 wrote:

As long as there are no ads on the services you pay for (e.g. Netflix), I would not mind ads. I mean God, the thing pulls metadata of what you’re viewing… I could take a sidebar ad or two…

It appears the ads are always there. You are starting to drool, did that happen when you first read about WDTV Live.:wink:

richUK wrote:

After reading the review below and watching the video it seems that the popbox is being subsidised by adverts which take up a large part of the screen.

Yeah, I posted that link and mentioned the ads yesterday (in this very thread) and you posted right after me.  :P

It’s a shame the video cuts off right as they start discussing the Ads and whether an opt-out is available.   The space used by ads could be better put to use displaying meta data, further options, or even just making the main icons bigger.

PixelPower wrote:

richUK wrote:

Yeah, I posted that link and mentioned the ads yesterday (in this very thread) and you posted right after me.  :P

It’s a shame the video cuts off right as they start discussing the Ads and whether an opt-out is available.   The space used by ads could be better put to use displaying meta data, further options, or even just making the main icons bigger.

Sorry. I’m getting forum fatigue.

richUK wrote:

Sorry. I’m getting forum fatigue. 

No problem.  :)

It’s the constant waiting around, hoping for a thread announcing a new firmware that fixes everything… wears you down!

Is it sad that I’m hoping the Popbox has issues just to make me feel better about my WD TV Live?

radio1 wrote:

It looks that way.

It’d be nice if WD is reading their own support forums…

As they have pointed out several times these ARE NOT support forums. These are “gabber with strangers who also has a wdtv live” - if you want support you have to go to the support section of the website and ask a question.

From the Community home page:

“Join the conversation about all things WD.
Now there’s one place where you can talk to us - and to each other - about how you’re using WD products and services.
Ask questions, swap ideas, post and read information, opinions and tips with others. We want to hear from you!”

They need to change this.  Specifically  take out “… you can talk to us” and “We want to hear from you!”

Raster99… you are starting to really annoy… WD…  oops… not really they don’t read any of your posts…good catch though…

they shoud have made the POPBOX lettering bigger so its easier to distinguish from all the other equipm we have on the rack…

and when it doesnt meet our expectations, we can  the young uns that POP means…piece of p00pie :wink:

sd card slot should ideally be at the front…

netflix support? awesome if youre within the us…the rest of the world couldnt care coz they cant (not supposed to) get it