WDTV Live Hub won't turn on

I’m not sure what’s going on but my WDTV Live Hub just won’t turn on anymore.

The power button on the unit doesn’t work and the reset button did nothing.

When I turn it on with the remote it takes me to the usual WDTV logo. but after the second appearance of the logo it just shuts off.

I have the unit sitting on top of a towel, but I use my radio remote to levitate it so it can get some air.

does anyone have this problem? and if you fixed it, hoe did you do it?

Exact same problem here, was working fine last night then today it gets to the second WDTV logo, the light on the front starts blinking, then it shuts off.

I have tried to reset it using the pinhole under the unit and no luck.

I have switched power outlets off a power board in case of any power issues and no luck.

I have removed the ethernet connection in case of a network problem and tried to power up, no luck.

Any help would be appreciated. Nothing has been transferred to or from the unit over night to break it so far as I can tell.

Thoughts?

That sounds like a faulty AC power adapter.

Unfortunately, you’d have to have another one to verify this (maybe you can see if a local store has one on display you can try?).

Sometimes you can substitute adapters if your lucky to have a compatible one:

1. power connection must match

2. the VOLTAGE must be identical

3. the CURRENT rating (A) must be identical or higher on the adapter

people say on other threads that it maybe caused by the AC adapter just like what you said.

My WDTV Live Hub turned on and I actually got to the menu before it shutted off after like 10 seconds. Then it went back to it’s original state. I left it alone for a whole day and when I turned it on it worked for a longer time. Well, it was more like 10 minutes. then it turned off.

So I’m guessing it’s the firmwire that is causing the problem. My WDTVLH is updated before the latest version which is before Dec. 31st 2010. I’m gonna attempt to try to update my firmwire to Dec. 31 with my ethernet cable and see if it fixes this problem. If I do succed and it still happens, then I can confirm it is not the firmwire that is causing this problem.

Well people had problems with the new firmware(2.03.24) but I didn’t have any problems updating. My WDTVLH is the same like it was before it got updated.

Anyways it seems that it didn’t fix really the Auto-Shutdown, It still happens after some time it’s been on, but it doesn’t shut off with a click, it just goes to sleep mode. The fan is still running when it auto-shutdown.

Now watching The Simpsons right now without any shut downs, yet today. I’ll report again when it does.

Got the same problem here :frowning: just bought it 2 days ago, was loving it till today it went dead. I don’t understand why we “The customer” is the only one in the forum… Isn’t it forum like this supposed to have some kind of moderator or expert administrator? I hope they can solve this remotely.

This is a user support forum.   There are admins, but they’re not necessarily product experts.   Your best bet with critical situations like that is to just exchange the product at the retailer, or call WD.

Thank you. I did exchange the product. And the best advice they can give is to stay away from the december software update and wait till a newer version. So i guess i wont be updating the firmware for awhile. But i must say it is a great product!

since i exchanged WDTV HUB and NOT upgrading for awhile, the system works find; but if any of you guys have a problem, WD just add a new Topic regarding “DOWNGRADING FIRMWARE”  so i hope this helps check it out at:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5860&p_created=1292612668&p_sid=cMxwysjk&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTAmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTMyOSwxMzI5JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9mbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE!&p_li=&p_topview=1

Not sure how I am supposed to downgrade if the unit turns off before I get to the GUI.

Good point.

But I was able to do this by just cooling down the unit for an hour to get to the menu screen.

From there, I inserted a USB drive with the lower firmware and it successfully completed.

However, problem still persists.  No luck here.

Have any of you contacted WD Tech support?

DeadHub wrote:

Not sure how I am supposed to downgrade if the unit turns off before I get to the GUI.

I guess you registered here after your updated the FW :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m in the same boat, updated the FW and the hub went dead. I couldn’t believe it…it was 2 days old!

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Have any of you contacted WD Tech support?

They told me not to update the FW and that their US Tech support is looking into the issue. They also have no idea when they expect a fix. When I asked why the FW is still on the webpage for download, the guy mumbled something I couldn’t make out and didn’t bother to repeat the question.

Good News! I solved this problem. Check out this post for details:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub/Help-Hub-powers-up-WD-light-flashes-then-powers-itself-off/td-p/104158/page/7

1 Like

I’ve just an vague answer from WD, here’s what they say:

"Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is [delete]

I have a few questions about this issue. Are you plugging your product’s A/C adapter into a power strip or directly into a wall socket? If you are using a power strip or battery backup then we recommend that you connect your hard drive directly into a wall socket. In the past, we have seen several customers who have had issues using power strips and battery backup devices.

What happens if you plug the drive into a different A/C outlet at your location? Test the adapter with a voltmeter.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further."

YEAH RIGHT… HOW COME MY AC RYAN, And ANOTHER CHINA MADE MEDIA PLAYER WORKS FINE?? I GUESS THEY ALSO DONT KNOW THE ANSWER.  I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THIS PROBLEM IS FIRMWARE OR PRODUCT DEFECT.  I HOPE I DONT HAVE TO PRY OPEN THE UNIT JUST TO UNPLUG THE POWER BUTTON.