WDTV Live Hub recently became unusable - no access to Local storage

Hello, I have recently have been experiencing issues with my Live Hub. I have been a happy user for one year now. I have it set to automatically detect new firmware so I have decided to update to 3.05.10 last month and ever since my unit has become unusable.  It compiles for several hours (more than 6) and when I come back to it, the unit is frozen and does not respond to any commands. Tried hard reboot, even reset button (paper clip hole under the unit) does not respond.The only way to get out of that cycle is to completely shut it off by pulling the plug, letting it stand for 30 seconds and replugging everything. Then it reboots, and get in compile mode again for several hours. Tried to revert back the Firmware, cannot even get the unit to have sufficient responsiveness to load the firmware screen once thumbdrive is inserted.

After a few days of trial error troubleshooting, I progressed slightly, I was able to rollback firmware to 3.03.16 and remove the Media library function, that stopped the blinking for hours. UI is pretty responsive now until I try to access the local file structure. I cannot get to browse files (from the WDTV UI or from any PC or MAC connected to my network), it freezes on me to a point I need to completely power off the unit.  I suspect a Hard drive issue since I can see the WDTV from my LAN, but just can’t access content from either the WDTV GUI or the LAN. Is there any way to diagnose the health of the drive?

My problem is that, eventhough the unit still is under warranty, I will lose all of its content. I have over 650GB of media files on it, unfortunately with no external backup.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Have you tried removing the WD from your network altogether and then re-booting ? I cannot see why but that may be the source of the problem. Connect only to AVI/AMP and/or TV only. Are you using connection other than HDMI, if so, try using HDMI. Again, I don’t see what difference it could make but with many gadgets it’s the thing you know won’t make a difference that actually does !!

I’m to a point where I will try anything :confounded:. I will try what you are proposing and will let you know.

No luck, Powered down the unit, unplugged LAN Cable, unplugged HDMI and Power. Reconnected Power and HDMI only. still can’t access the local file structure. This is getting frustrating :frowning:

OK. First, try going to Settings: Disk Manager. This will tell you how much space you have left. From this you can tell (hopefully) whether or not the files are actually there. If the level available tells you all is well at least you know the data is still there, you just cannot get at it. You could try going to Clear Media Library, also in Settings. Not sure if this instruction only works when Media Library is set to ON or not, but worth a try. Clear Media Library clears out everything and re-compiles. Re-setting to factory defaults is another possibility. (This will reset back to what you got when you bought it, in terms of options, including switching Media Library to On.) Nothing else springs to mind at present.

OK, here’s where I’m standing. Went to Disk Manager. I can see Disk utilization is at 650GB, but the media file count is at 0 for all three categories, music, photos and videos. That could be due to the fact that Media Library function is disabled, or could indicate a faulty HD…not sure.  I also cleared the media library did nothing. tried to re-enable media library and went back to the initial blinking for hours  and freeze thing, so no luck there either. Resetted to factory default before, that did not help either.

The WD support swiftly replied to me yesterday and told me that my unit was defective without asking any additionnal questions…I was puzzled by the quickness of the conclusion…without any troubleshooting. They’re offering a RMA for my “faulty” unit. I have asked them if there were any way to salvage the data, I doubt they will have anything positive to tell me but what the heck.

Yup, they’ve probably handled the same complaint more than once and know what the end result would be so they just send out a new unit instead of wasting everyone’s time. You MIGHT be able to pull the drive from the Hub and connect it to a USB adapter and read it on a PC…but I kinda doubt it. Still, I would try AFTER I got WD’s permission to do so.

1 Like

Wait a minute…just came back from work…placed a RMA with WD and figured what the heck I’ll give it a last try…and wouldn’t you know!! it’s currently copying Media at approximately 500MB per minute over my network…I did not do anything!!! crossing my fingers…

I would open that thing up and make sure the drive is connected tight as well as other connections…things don’t fix themselves. maybe WD would grant access and not void the warranty…??

Ok False joy…It is indeed connecting but it’s so unstable it’s barely able to download more than 800MB before crashing…then UI becomes unresponsive and need to restart WD. Now today, it’s back behaving like before…blinking light of death. Support was clear…If I open it I void the warranty. I’ll try to salvage as much as possible and swap it out. Warrranty claim is on the way. Thanks anyway folks.

Hi all,

I’ve had a somewhat similar experience. My live hub had the latest firmware (3.05.1) and after a couple of days of really flakey behaviour, the unit would not read the hard drive. Disk manager cannot detect the presence of the drive at all, so I pulled the HD out and hooked to a USB port on one of my computers. I suspected a crunched partition from something, but I kind of think it was the latest firmware, but that may be an incorrect assertion. I couldn’t access the drive until I booted my computer with a disk utility from the DVD drive.

I started recovering a few files, but at the rate of recovery I would be 125 years old before that process completed. So I am totally prepared to blow everything away and start over. However, there are two partitions on there and I would simply delete & re-recreate the partions…but I dont know the file structure of thesmaller partition, which they have assigned a name to: WDTVPriv.

Does anybody know how theWDTVPriv partition is formatted? The main partition is ntfs. Also, does anyone know if the file in WDTVPriv are critical or not? 

For what it is worth I have been running the Live Hub without the drive in it for a few days now. There’s an error message when you start it up, but you will only see that once. There may be some functionality missing, but I haven’t had time to explore & see what that might be.

thanks,

bt

blacktop wrote:

Hi all,

I’ve had a somewhat similar experience. My live hub had the latest firmware (3.05.1) and after a couple of days of really flakey behaviour, the unit would not read the hard drive. Disk manager cannot detect the presence of the drive at all, so I pulled the HD out and hooked to a USB port on one of my computers. I suspected a crunched partition from something, but I kind of think it was the latest firmware, but that may be an incorrect assertion. I couldn’t access the drive until I booted my computer with a disk utility from the DVD drive.

I started recovering a few files, but at the rate of recovery I would be 125 years old before that process completed. So I am totally prepared to blow everything away and start over. However, there are two partitions on there and I would simply delete & re-recreate the partions…but I dont know the file structure of thesmaller partition, which they have assigned a name to: WDTVPriv.

Does anybody know how theWDTVPriv partition is formatted? The main partition is ntfs. Also, does anyone know if the file in WDTVPriv are critical or not? 

For what it is worth I have been running the Live Hub without the drive in it for a few days now. There’s an error message when you start it up, but you will only see that once. There may be some functionality missing, but I haven’t had time to explore & see what that might be.

thanks,

bt

Have you done a disk scan or a check with a disk diagnostics software on the Hub disk? When you put the disk (or a replacement if the original disk has failed) back into the Hub, go to the Hub Disk Manager and Format the disk. The Hub will create the partitions and put the system files back on the disk. Of course you will lose everything that is on the disk. If you don’t already have a backup of your files on the Hubs disk, this is a good time to start.

By the way the latest firmwares seem to have introduced a bug where the Media Files section (audio, video, photos) all show 0 B, but the summary screen shows the correct space used.

The same thing just happened to me on the the latest firmware. I am so upset right now. I have/had around 600 gb of personal media in the internal drive.

Is pulling out the hard drive to try to take the files out permitted in terms of warranty?

I just have run into a similar problem. 300gb of media that I’ve been accessing for months. Suddenly the device gives a “no media on device” error! The dosk manager still shows that there is data but can’t access it! Rebuilt the Media Lib with no luck. VERY FRUSTRATING :frowning: Any hints would be deeply appreciated.

I also lost my access to internal storage in the past week. I had about 500gigs of data. I cant access them either through device or thru pc via ethernet connection. I update to the latest firmware a couple of weeks ago. IS that the problem?

Is rolling back a good soultion? If yes how do I it. thanks.

I did try  rolling back …no luck didn’t work at all