WDTV Live Hub Media Center

punchbuggy wrote:

but if you instead clicked the “cached” link at the end of the result it’ll take you to the main page. where oddly enough you can buy it online.

Uh… no.

If the actual page for the product 404’s, then you can’t “buy it online” currently, regardless of what’s cached anywhere.

I’m sure you can find cached pages of items they no longer sell, and haven’t sold in quite some time.

RoofingGuy wrote:

Uh… no.

If the actual page for the product 404’s, then you can’t “buy it online” currently, regardless of what’s cached anywhere.

Really? Because it works fine for me as of 5 mintues ago. Too bad you can only fool them into having a US billing address but not US shipping address.

Shopping cart screenshot

Just because you can use the cached links to “send” in an order doesn’t mean the order will be processed and the product shipped.

Actually, RG, yes, that will work.   If it’s in the cart, it’s in the sales system.   Same thing they did with the WDTV Live+ when they leaked it a week early…  All web sales worked.

Same thing they did with the TiVo premiere…  In order to try to STOP sales, they went and changed the price to $3000.00.

“Your credit card will not be charged until we have shipped your product or a delivery of your product has been scheduled.”

"To receive an instant estimate of the shipping time for in-stock products, simply add products into your cart and enter your postal code into the shipping tool. An estimate of how long it should take to ship the product will appear.

The shipping tool also takes into account the Order Processing Time. This is the length of time it takes to verify credit, as well as locate and package your order for shipment. If the merchandise is in stock, your order should leave our warehouse within 1-2 days. Please allow up to two additional days for credit verification."

“As soon as you place an order, a confirmation email will be sent to you. If we discover there is an issue with inventory or your credit card, another follow-up email will be sent notifying you that there is a reason why we can’t process your order.”

That doesn’t say they will ship products that they’ve been ordered not to.  That falls under “an issue with inventory”. :wink:

GST $11.50? what’s that?

_ G _oods And _ S _ervices _ T _ax.

Federal sales tax.

**bleep**.

So you guys think this is at US BestBuys yet? Thinking of driving to a local BB… .really want this lol

RoofingGuy wrote:

*Just because you can use the cached links to “send” in an order doesn’t mean the order will be processed and the product shipped.

*That doesn’t say they  will  ship products that they’ve been ordered not to.  That falls under “an issue with inventory”.  :wink:

*Thats why I made sure the URL was in my screenshot. It’s a real live page with a valid session ID. It’s clear that the SKU is still in there system with inventory to back it up (ships in X days). All they did was deactivate the product description so that when you try to search by keyword or sku nothing shows up.

*Anyone who’s ever worked at bestbuy can tell you how shoddy their inventory system is. Theres no piece of paper or yellow tape sitting on these things at the warehouse saying “do not sell till xx/xx/xx”. Street dates are communicated by employee news articles that probably less than 5% of the employees actually read. When there is a penalty associated with early sales, BB will mark the price in the system up to something ridiculous like $2000+ in an effort to prevent people from buying it. Clearly there’s no penalty in this case since the guy over on AVSforums walked right in and bought one for retail price. I’d venture to say anyone ordering from the cached link on the canada site will probably get it by the date promised (assuming you live in Canada).

I would expect that since they have inventory on hand, then a release is imminent this week or next. As much as I want one, these things aren’t exactly “hot movers”.  They wouldn’t be wasting valuable inventory space stockpiling something that they weren’t planning on getting out on the floors real soon.

punchbuggy wrote:

here is the google cached bestbuy page…

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:EhrzUJDXzoQJ: www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/western-digital-wdtv-live-hub-media-center-1tb-wdbabz0010bbk-nesn-wdbabz0010bbk-nesn/10155309.aspx+WDTV+Live+Hub+Media+Center&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

edit: nevermind it doesn’t seem to work when I post the link :frowning:

You should use an URL shorterner when you get such monster long links :slight_smile:

Like this one: Google cache link

I wonder if this explains why they are too busy to fix the buggy firmware for the WDTV Live - there is just one guy working a few hours every other week on that product.

Well, this might have been alluring to me a few years ago, but not now. I’m waiting for a Google TV - WD has proven that they take ages to get anything done, AND most importantly they are not interested in adding new features, they are interested in getting you to keep buying new boxes.
That’s the difference, sure Sony and Logitech would like to keep selling you stuff - but Google doesn’t care, they are not hardware makers (and doesn’t get money from the box sales), they just want you to have one and the go online (they make their money online) - and then they’ll push firmware updates - if past history is any indication they will push them a lot quicker than WD ever did - and, most importantly, Google TV runs under the Android OS - that means there are hundreds of thousands of people out where who can program - and since you are free to make new apps for the TV people can add anything they like, instead of begging for months on a forum for something to be added.
And it has a complete 100% browser (in Chrome).

*If* this device arrives in my neck of the woods before the Google TV and if it is laughably cheap I might give it a choice - otherwise not likely.

I just don’t think people should get their hopes up, since BB _ has _ gotten themselves in trouble before.

I have no clue what the deal is.  WD could have merely asked them to take the page down.  Or WD could have been more explicit in their instructions as to when the devices are allowed to be sold.

Yes, in the past, with other products, you have been able to skirt around the system and get something shipped.  But that doesn’t guarantee it will work in this case.  WD could have very easily given BB direct instructions that their order-filling center is not allowed to ship any units until the product is officially released by WD.  And after (or despite) past failures, BB might have to comply with WD’s wishes.  Just because Kennedy was in an open-top limo doesn’t mean that subsequent Presidents will be.

So, as I originally said, just because the system will take your order (and just because previous leaks have shipped in the past), that doesn’t automatically mean your order will ship before the release date in this case.  I never said it wouldn’t either… just that it may not.

The guy in Alberta that bought one, bought it before the page was even taken down (by the looks of all the times involved) even if the page was down by the time he got around to posting his pics.  So, despite the BlueShirts being clueless at the best of times, there’s a very decent chance that WD hadn’t even contacted BB about the matter at the time he was making his purchase.

Of course, then there’s the other issue… posting here about backdoor tricks to sneak the units past BB and WD probably isn’t in your best interests. :wink:  It might just get WD on BB’s case even harder and make it more likely that the units won’t ship ahead of the release date.

About Google TV (the Logitech Revue is what I guess you’re referring to), it costs $300 and it will not have an internal HD. I’d rather get the Live plus to be honest. Why do you need apps and all that? I guess I’m just simple minded, lol. I just want a media player that I can store content on (don’t want to bother with streaming since I’m not running any wires) and also do Netflix sometimes. I think the Hub would be perfect if it had built in wireless and a browser with flash support. I’d pick it over the Revue though

What you say about WD and their support is interesting and something i consider as well. Though, many people were upset with the Plus coming out instead of WD just giving the Live some Netflix support, but then it was made clear that the Live doesn’t have the necessary chip for Netflix so it couldn’t be added with a firmware update. What is a concern are the bug fixes. I don’t care about adding features, you should never expect a company to add features after the product comes out, but fixes I do agree and that’s one of the reasons I’m on the fence about buying the Hub when it comes out.

imo the hub if you live outside the us is just an attempt to push the sale of wd hard drives with their media player.

its much bigger bcoz of that and you will have 1tb of extra space if both usb ports are used to connect similar sized external drives.

but it does have gbit lan…which is a plus.

stuff like netflix which is geo blocked do not matter to those that happen to be outside the us even tho you re an actual american citizen but have taken a job in a foreign country…

mzaur wrote:

About Google TV (the Logitech Revue is what I guess you’re referring to), it costs $300 and it will not have an internal HD. I’d rather get the Live plus to be honest. Why do you need apps and all that? I guess I’m just simple minded, lol. I just want a media player that I can store content on (don’t want to bother with streaming since I’m not running any wires) and also do Netflix sometimes. I think the Hub would be perfect if it had built in wireless and a browser with flash support. I’d pick it over the Revue though

What you say about WD and their support is interesting and something i consider as well. Though, many people were upset with the Plus coming out instead of WD just giving the Live some Netflix support, but then it was made clear that the Live doesn’t have the necessary chip for Netflix so it couldn’t be added with a firmware update. What is a concern are the bug fixes. I don’t care about adding features, you should never expect a company to add features after the product comes out, but fixes I do agree and that’s one of the reasons I’m on the fence about buying the Hub when it comes out.

Google TV is a platform, at moment available in the revue, a blueray player from sony, and 4 tv’s from sony. In a year it will probably be available in 20 more devices. Two years from now, perhaps twice that.

People have been dying to mod the WDTV’s but it isn’t really happening. On the GTV it will happen.

As for features, yes, I do expect a company to do that if they wish to keep me as a customer. But as I think i said, Google doesn’t want to sell you more than one device, ie, they’ll keep updating Android, and other people will keep adding apps - with one investment.

whattheheck wrote:

Google TV is a platform, at moment available in the revue, a blueray player from sony, and 4 tv’s from sony. In a year it will probably be available in 20 more devices. Two years from now, perhaps twice that.

People have been dying to mod the WDTV’s but it isn’t really happening. On the GTV it will happen.

As for features, yes, I do expect a company to do that if they wish to keep me as a customer. But as I think i said, Google doesn’t want to sell you more than one device, ie, they’ll keep updating Android, and other people will keep adding apps - with one investment.

Google might not want to sell you more than one device but they are not the ones manufacturing and marketing the devices.

Sony, Logitech, and whoever else jumps on the GoogleTV bandwagon, will be designing and releasing new GoogleTV boxes every year, same as any other company.

Google might not want differences in hardware / features but you can bet the manufacturers will want their product to be the #1 choice and seek to differentiate from the competition.

Anandtech Review

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3990/western-digital-wdtv-live-hub-review

Sigma 8654 chip with Realtek GigE chip (limited to <12MB/s by processing power/firmware?)

new SDK to enable some 3D decoding on same chip as Live+

“Mochi” user interface

Ultimately this is a Live+ with a new SDK, a hobbled GigE chip, and an internal 1TB 2.5" drive…for a good price.

Seems like a better choice at the minute than a WDEP. No support/firmware on that front of things and that box has been out for a few months now!

So is this unit going to support gapless audio playback of flac files.  The reason being is I have 6tb’s of music in flac format and the gaps on my WDTV Live are very annoying when listening to a Dead show as most songs flow into one another. 

Doubtful.    Gapless Audio requires multiple MP3 decoders.   I don’t know if the Sigma chip has multiple decoders.