WDTV LIve HD continuously scanning USB drive - cannot find media

Hi,

I have a WDTV LIve HD player running the original firmware 1.01.00.  I have connected a WD Elements SE Portable 750 GB drive to it.   The drive has about 100 GB of content.

When I first connected the drive, a few days ago, the WDTV player scanned the disk in a couple of seconds and I was able to select and play content.

However for the last 2 days, everytime I go to Video > Local Drive, I can see the status at the top saying “Scanning USB drive for media”.   I’ve left the scanning on for half an hour and it has not yet completed.

The only change in the last 2 days has been that I mapped  the WDTV Live USB drive as a drive on my Win XP machine and copied a couple of files to the drive over the network.   

I have tired removing the drive mapping on Windows and disconnecting the WDTV Live HD box from the network.  This hasn’t helped.  The box is still scanning the drive and cannot find any media.

Any suggestions on what could have gone wrong?

I have searched the other threads on “No media in the current folder”, but most of them see to related to accessing content over a network share or from a media server.   

Thanks.

Chris

cmoraes wrote:

Hi,

I have a WDTV LIve HD player running the original firmware 1.01.00.  I have connected a WD Elements SE Portable 750 GB drive to it.   The drive has about 100 GB of content.

When I first connected the drive, a few days ago, the WDTV player scanned the disk in a couple of seconds and I was able to select and play content.

However for the last 2 days, everytime I go to Video > Local Drive, I can see the status at the top saying “Scanning USB drive for media”.   I’ve left the scanning on for half an hour and it has not yet completed.

The only change in the last 2 days has been that I mapped  the WDTV Live USB drive as a drive on my Win XP machine and copied a couple of files to the drive over the network.   

I have tired removing the drive mapping on Windows and disconnecting the WDTV Live HD box from the network.  This hasn’t helped.  The box is still scanning the drive and cannot find any media.

Any suggestions on what could have gone wrong?

I have searched the other threads on “No media in the current folder”, but most of them see to related to accessing content over a network share or from a media server.   

Thanks.

Chris

I had this same problem =P  Plug the drive into your XP Box. Open the drive under My Computer, then click on Tools → Folder Options → View Tab. Scroll down and enable “Show Hidden Files”, you may also have to uncheck “Hide Protected operating system files”.

Remove the System Volume Information directory.

Eject the drive and put it back on your WD Live and turn it on. This resolved my issue, hope it fixes yours too!

Hi

can you please elaborate regarding the procedure , maybe i missed something 

What do you mean by "Remove system volume information " this is an option that i should choose ?  i dont see it there. 

Open the drive under My Computer, then click on Tools → Folder Options → View Tab. Remove the System Volume Information directory. Eject the drive and put it back on your WD Live and turn it on. This resolved my issue, hope it fixes yours too!

Thanks

Tomer

That means, if there is a file or folder there called “System Volume Information”, delete it. 

It might be a hidden file or folder, so you’ll have to enable that view in the folder options.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

That means, if there is a file or folder there called “System Volume Information”, delete it. 

It might be a hidden file or folder, so you’ll have to enable that view in the folder options.

Thanks Tony =)  I went back and fixed my post, I was at work and must have gotten distracted…

I wonder why deleting the System Volume Information directory will affect on that continuously scanning ?