WDTV Live G3 suddenly started behaving weirdly

I’m jumping on the bandwagon of sudden missbehave of the WD TV SMP. For the last couple of weeks it didn’t worked properly even once, but it was perfect for last 3 years. Now I’m getting constant freezes and lockups. I’m tired of unplugging power to restore the device to normal.

I have downgraded firmware back to previous version (2.02.32 to 2.01.86), and I’m yet to find out if that helped.

WD please do something with this!

I too suddenly starting having issues.  Probably something wrong in the device from manufacturer if so many of us start having random episodes.

Hello there,

When the unit freezes do any of you guys feel the unit is hot?  Also would like to know if you have tried using the unit wireless and wired to see if the same thing happens.

I wouldn’t say my unit was any hotter than it has been for the past 18 months, certainly no hotter than the previous model, about the same as my satellite receiver. It sits well ventilated on a shelf with a good 15cm of space around it. I am unable to connect the box wired I’m afraid but I have turned off the firmware notification to see if that has any effect.

In the last days I started to have some issue with my device.

I just start it and after ~15 min… it will freeze… I don’t even need to start a video or anything.

Just registered to say im having the same issues the last few weeks. Everything was fine and dandy.

Thinking it was my box up until I found this topic. Factory reset 5 times over last 2 weeks. Had latest firmware 32 installed for nearly 12 months. Thought it was my NAS but is accessible and runs smoothly on my portable devices.

Rolled back firmware today and have been watching stuff on it for the last 5 hours without issue. Really strange I’m not the only one that had the issue.

same for me… I was running the last firmware for over 1 year…
What the **bleep** happened in the last weeks for everyone? lol

Rolled back to 2.01.86 and everything’s back to normal

Same with me and i have 3 of the WDTV live TV boxes.they all  worked no prob until about a week ago. Spent ages talking to WD support they said do a Rollback - I’ve tried many all have the same problems. this is very annoying!

downgrading doesn’t work, I’ve tried a few. Can’t understan why no-one can sort this or advise us.

That didn’t work for me, I’ve tried it a few times and have three WDTV boxes all bought at different times. it’s driving me nuts!

one of my rollbacks worked fine for two days, then all freezes again and no access to BBC iplayer same things all over again!

That Rollback didn’t work for me!!

Hello Lynda, please take a look at your private messages, I sent you one.

Add me to the list as well.  Everything was working fine for me until about a week or so ago, now I have to keep unplugging the unit to get it to work again. Yes, it is random for me as well. One day it will be fine another it will freeze multiple times. Very frustrating and aggravating. What is going on? 

is very strange that so many people are suddenly having issues requiring power cycles. The latest firmware is not good but it seems many have been running it a while without this level of problems. It’s got to be something WD server side or within the natively installed apps that is being pushed down through the Internet - something is happening that triggers the device lockup. I’d wager that if wifi or Ethernet was removed from the device would be less likely to lock up. Of course that’s no fix as I need my WD to be on the network so it can stream video from my NAS drives. But it’s got to be something coming down the Internet pipes intermittently causing it throw a hissy fit. That’s the only way all these recent lock up reports can be explained. Of course this is upto WD to detect, troubleshoot and fix

Add yet another user to the list of those experiencing problems with this device.  My experience has been been the same as all the others mentioned and within the same time-frame.  

Things I would add (which I don’t believe have been mentioned) is that my device will freeze regardless of whether I am streaming an online service such as Netflix or streaming from my Network share (attached Mybook Live).  Sometimes it will continue streaming but the remote control is unresponsive.  Other times the device won’t power on at all, not without unplugging and plugging it back in.  I also own two older WDTV Live Plus devices that (thankfully) are unaffected.  

I am grateful to this community for all the feedback.  Before checking here I simply assumed the device had run its course, being the most heavily used one of the three I own.  

Cheers

Things that worked for me but are not solutions. Disconnecting from internet stopped all lock ups but I use netflix and a network drive so that was not a good fix, rolling back firmware to 2.01.86 also worked. It has been a week since I locked, but 2.01.86 has dumb problems I do not like. Next I am thinking about re-upgrading firmware and turning off all internet things like firmware check I can and seeing if that works.

Lol, that did not take long. I re-upgraded the firmware turn off firmware upgrade check. Than reconnected my drive and started to watch a cartoon, paused it at 6 minutes 17 seconds to run to the restroom. Came back could not start or shut down, even removed the drive and it stayed paused. Removed power cord and rolling back firmware again. 2.01.86 seems to be most stable for me,.

I have been having the same problem with all the same symptoms, freezing up both on streaming Netflix and my network, the controller not working, the player not switching on unless I restart by unplugging, and getting an error message if I try to update.

All starting during the same timeframe mentioned by others suffing the same problem.

After doing several hard resets the freezing has stoped but that has just been today so far. I still get an error message when trying to update on line. And using a tumb drive update does not work either (the player see the drive but wont update). Also I noticed that the on screen temperature is not updating.

This many people all having the same problem all occuring at the same time could not be a coincidence!

Did anyone not using the player to conetcted to media on thier own network have this problem?

I’d be interesed to know the reason for this occurence if anyone finds out.

If I could find a set box that could stream from my server as good as WD had done but without thw drama I would buy it twice the price.

I rolled-back my device yesterday to the previous firmware and have experienced no problems since. I’d still like to know what caused an otherwise functional machine to suddenly act up. Did Y2K happen 15 years and 10 months late?

Add another one to the growing heap of complaints due to this issue. I’m not only getting the lockups but the device isn’t consistemtly responding to the remote, and once again all of the services added to the 32 update have mysteriously gone away. The failure on checking for an update has been consistent for quite some time, incidentally; the other issues started this week, while the vanishing services is a repeat of an earlier issue.