WDTV Live G3 suddenly started behaving weirdly

Anchor it and pay attention. It could take off :slight_smile:

I have the same issue with my gen3 player (2.02.32) while streaming from netflix. It has been a long time since the last time I tried to play media from my samba shares, so I am not sure yet if the problem is netflix-specific.

I will try downgrading to 2.01.86 to see if that helps. From the above, I understand that it’s likely that we will not get an (offical) fix any time soon (if ever), has anyone tried the wdlxtv firmware? Does it suffer from the same issue?

I’m glad I found this forum as I was assuming my WD TV Live unit was starting to fail! I’m also having the same issue with being unresponsive to powering on, as well as freezing after a while of playback. Too bad WD tech support doesn’t have an ETA on a fix.

In the meantime, I plan to try the firmware downgrade tonight.

EDIT: downgraded to 2.01.86, turned off auto check for new firmware, did a couple of successful power cycles and streamed audio from my network server. All looks good; hopefully it lasts!

ETA on a fix? Well I haven’t seen ANY reply that thet’re even interested in these problems we are having all around the world! I wish they would even write something that “we’re investigating it” or something, but it seems they are not even investigating this situation.

Finally WD is taking some actions: They are deleting posts refering to this problem. My topic “WD tv live freezing: list of solutions” has just been erased!

You mean this topic? WD TV freezing all over the world: List of solutions

Sadly now i’m sure that WD will not take any action even if they read this forum and know the issue.
That’s more simple than to pay royalties for third party services disappeared on our box, or to spend one or more servers for wdtv live gen3 online queries… or to use its last employees to solve a problem of a discontinued product.

I don’t know when the latest firmware was released, but mine has been acting up for many months. I took the top off, drilled it full of holes for ventilation, and added laptop cooler in hopes of a fix. Nope, still kept slowing, pausing and freezing.

Thanks for the suggestion to roll back the firmware. Took it back to Ver. 2.01.86 this evening, and it’s running like a top! It even finds network servers, which has been intermittent since I got it years ago.

I do :grinning: (8/11/2014)

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?g=1011&lang=en

i have 4 of them they are all doing the same thing!

Rollback to previous firmware solved all that nonsense in my Gen3 player.
Don’t know about network services (like Youtube), but local playing is fine again :slight_smile:
No more unresponding remote and power cycling
And yes it seams like a total abandonware regarding WD support :confused:

Same thing here. All was well and all of a sudden the WDTV wouldn’t turn on. I had to unplug and plug in everytime to get it going. I went out and bought a new one and IT DOES THE SAME THING. I have changed the firmware on the GEN3 and it seems to be okay now. Also the new one is not doing it anymore and I didn’t change a thing. Very strange. I also cannot access facebook or twitter on either one. Keeps saying password is wrong but it’s not.

Found two more topics about this:

Blocking the device in the router work for me 1 week freeze free.

1 Like

how do we do it please help!

One thing I do that helps with sluggishness is to always reboot after using Netflix. Simple yet effective.

Hi,
It seems that http://www.wdtvlive.com/wsapps/appservice.svc/json/browseapp is up and running again

Did anybody try to update?

I rolled back the firmware and am really happy with the results. All my local files are playing well. Netflix and even Youtube are working. The response is fast and there’s no freezing. Its like a new box.

you mean that even with 2.02.32 and WITHOUT blocking internet or any wd site it might not freeze?
iam using 2.02.32 since yesterday with no freeze but with 127.0.0.1 as DNS so no internet on wdtv.

According to FlyingDutchmann the offline status of the file is causing the freeze. Since this is now online it should solve the problem with version 2.02.32 but I haven’t tried to update yet.
If anyone have please give a status.

The page may be “online” but if you look at the page, the script is still generating an error.