WDTV live drops connection after a few minutes

So it works on my WinXP and not on my Win7…

So I did some few other testes… and it’s clearly my computer that is causing the problem.

I just can’t put my finger on what’s making my network drop… could it be my hard drive that is crashing?

Doubtful it’s a hard drive problem.   That’d be obvious in other cases, too.  

That’s the problem when you isolate it to something on the computer… it could be about ANYTHING…  Driver issues, NIC failure, interference of other software, etc.   

I *loathe* suggesting it, but it might be time to back up your data, note the important applications for later reinstallation, and a re-format / Re-install.

Or:  Investigate a NAS box.   They’re generally trouble-free.  I’m using a QNAP and I couldn’t be happier.  Right now, all THREE of my WDTV Lives are watching different movies, and the NAS is barely breaking a sweat.  

Yeah I just bought two new hard drives and some memory, I was about to reformat anyway.

Could you just explain a bit what’s a NAS and how do you setup / use it?

thanks

NAS=  Network Attached Storage.

It’s basically nothing more than a collection of one or more hardrives that then is plugged into the network.  Most NAS devices support Windows File Sharing (which is important for the Live).  Many support NFS, as well, but that’s not important to the Live.

Many NAS boxes (like my QNAP) have “Value Added” software, like iTunes server, Twonky Media Server, Web Servers, and more…  I don’t use most of it, but it’s there should I change my mind.

The SETUP and MANAGEMENT of it is going to vary greatly depending on who makes it. 

The USE of it, from a “client” perspective should be identical to any other Windows Sharing server.  

If I want access to my Movies on my NAS, I just go to:

\BIGNAS1\MOVIES 1  

Provide User ID and Password when asked, and voila…everything is there.

On my Linux box, I mount the “shares” via NFS because NFS is MUCH more effecient and faster than “Windows” mode (which is also known as SMB or CIFS in technical jargon) so I get the best of both worlds.

Alright, thanks for the info, if I can’t get it to work after my reformat, I’ll use the drives from my old computer to make a NAS box.

I have similar issue. I start playing a video and after a couple of minutes it just stoppes. Sometimes it recovers after couple seconds-minutes. Other times if have to pull the plug.

After this first issue normally like 4-10 minutes into the video, it runs fine. Very strange.

This happens when I have a hdd attached to my router (netgear wndr3700 with media server) or also when accessing win 7 64 bit shares.

OP you mentioned netgear swichtes, maybe they are the issue? Did you solve your problem?

I have the same problem with my WDTV Live and D-Link DIR-655 Router. It seems that there are some compatibility problems. But the question is… Who is fault - WDTV or DIR-655? :frowning:

By DEFINITION it’s the DIR-655’s fault.

There is NOTHING that should EVER happen on a network to cause a router outside of its own administration protocols to fail and bring down the rest of the network.  NOTHING.   Such an event would be an EASY exploit to turn into what’s called a “Denial of Service” attack.

It doesn’t matter if the WDTV was flinging totally corrupt traffic at the router; the router MUST HANDLE IT.   If it doesn’t it is the ROUTER’S fault.