WDTV Live Boot and Password issues

Hi there. I recently purchased a WDTV Live player, connected via HDMI to Yamaha RX-V5 series AV Reciever, HDMI out to Samsung TV HDMI in. It said firmware update available when it was first connected, so downloaded and installed that. The problem I am having is that the player is not booting properly when turned on. I have the TV set on HDMI1 permenantly. The only way I can get it to show up on the TV is to pull out the power cord at the back of the WDTV Live unit and then plug it back in, then it boots and shows the WDTV Live logo.

The secon issue is that It appears on my network, 2 pcs running windows 7, but when I select Media Centre PC where all my media is, it asks me for a user/password, but there is no passwords set for folders or the entire PC (Both of them)

Any help would be greatly appreciated,  Many thanks. Chris

I don’t know what’d be wrong with the first issue, but for the second:

Just ignore the User ID / Password prompt … leave them As-Is, and just go to the Checkmark and select OK.

Thanks Tony for your reply. Well I did eventually get the WDTV Live to see my media centre PC, but have to say, after a day of messing around trying to add shares to this device, this has to be the most frustrating piece of hardware I have ever owned, and am about ready to ditch it, LoL

To update this thread, All my media files are on Drive F on my HTPC, with folders called Movies, Videos, Pics etc. I am now at the point that I can see and read/write to any of these folders, including stream to my bedroom PC, so would think sharing is no longer an issue?

The problem I am now having is I cant add any folders via the WDTV Live using the feature setup/system/media library “on”/add network share/ mediacentre/Videos I get a cant create media because folder is read only. I have tried removing the attribtes of the folder via cmd prompt, but still it wont add it, or any other folder on that drive.

Statesman wrote:

… I have tried removing the attribtes of the folder via cmd prompt, but still it wont add it, or any other folder on that drive.

It’s not attributes of the folders, it’s attributes of the share itself.  The share needs to allow Read/Write access to the user defined for the share;  in your case, the user is the special user named “Everyone.”