WDTV Live and Windows 8 - Sharing and Live accounts

I’m not sure if this issue is covered anywhere else, but I searched all day for a solution and didn’t find anything.

Nonetheless, I finally figured it out.

So, yesterday I purchased Windows 8 as an update over my Windows 7. Untill then, I used my WDTV with Network Shares, logging in with my Windows 7 account. Everything worked perfectly.

When Windows 8 was fully installed (with all settings and apps kept), I wasn’t able to log in with my WDTV. It was due to the fact, that Win8 merged my local account with my Windows Live ID. So I had only my Live ID as my Windows account. Afters ours of tweaking sharing options and all other sorts of stuff, I only managed to log in with the Live ID through the WDTV, but only get some sharing capabilities.

Of course the solution was very, very simple… I just needed to create a new local account and use it for the WDTV.

Just to mention, that sharing to everyone, or removing the password protected sharing, didn’t helped at all. They only enabled partial sharing capability, mainly being “Play to” and some generic Music, Videos, Photos, Users and stuff, but always empty and not really working.

Hope this helped a bit for the Win 8 users :slight_smile:

Hi, thanks for sharing. :smiley:

Thanks for the reply.  I actually did this and for some reason, my DVD backups are stuttering during playback.  This used to happen when I would stream over wireless.  The solution was to run a network cable and that seemed to fix it.  But since upgrading to Windows 8, all of my DVD backups skip.  Anyone else having this issue?  I’ve already upgraded to the latest firmware and restarted both devices several times.

I tried this. Still am unable to get it to work.

Sharing between Windows PCs works flawlessly, my PC does not even show up on the WD Live TV anymore.

Wow, I’ve never seen anybody been able to get their WDTV Live (Plus) to work with Windows 7 properly. I had to actually follow a post here that showed how to do some major registry hacks to get it to work. So suprised that some could by just enabling sharing.

I was wondering if W8 would be any better.

WDTV Live Plus

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

leftbrain wrote:

Wow, I’ve never seen anybody been able to get their WDTV Live (Plus) to work with Windows 7 properly. I had to actually follow a post here that showed how to do some major registry hacks to get it to work. So suprised that some could by just enabling sharing.

I was wondering if W8 would be any better.

WDTV Live Plus

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

I have Windows 7 and I never had any problem getting my Live Plus to see Windows 7 shares. The key to getting it to work for me was to disable Homegroups. One way to do this is to set your computer to Work rather than Home. Setting it to Work disables Homegroups (this is not the only way to do this, but it was easy to do and it worked well for me). Once I did that, I just right clicked on directories that I wanted to share and selected to share them. No problems here.

Add me to the list of disappointed customers.  I have a network of Windows 7 and 8 computers connected via wireless.  I have the Live TV also connected via wireless (renting the house, so tearing up walls not a good option).

I’ve tried the “local account” and the removal of Homegroups without success.  My logins get denied and the only Media server seen is a Windows 7 computer and I can’t log into that from Live TV.

The device does stream video from the internet and can play .vob movies from a USB drive.  However, I bought the thing to stream videos from a computer.

I’ve looked a bit through this board and I’m not sure I see an active WD presence to address this.  Given that all new PC’s are Windows 7 & 8, is this a product that will be supported or is it a product set to be discontinued?

See I’m not dissapointed. Because I had NO issues with Windows 7 mine functioned flawlessly.

Windows 8 is the issue which is not technically listed as being supported. I am just frustrated because I know its a configuration/setting/option that I should be able to fix 1 way or another.

I’ve never been able to get my WDTV live boxes to access my win 7 PC, but it wasnt that big of a deal as my main network PC server was a win xp PC. 

But now the bloddy boxes will hardly ever get access to the xp machine (click my name and see my otgher posts if interested,)