WDTV Live and Netflix - not pals (US)

Just a quickie.

I hooked up one of the devices this weekend (standard WDTV live) annd was able to get Thomas the Train and a bunch of other things playing for Jr in the spare room over a power-line network router.

I try today and I get to Netflix, it connects, tries to get a file list (Or “titles” I believe) and it says it cannot connect (err 100?).

I tried several things.

1. Power reset

2. Menu factory reset

3. Hard factory reset

4. The magic U,U,D,D,L,R,L,R,U,U,U,U ->Deactivate.

Nothing has worked and there are no topics on here or on Netflix that seem to deal with it.

If anyone can help I would REALLY apreciate it… or, rather, my 2yo would!!! :wink:

lizrulez, if you are using IE9 please visit the link below:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/IE9-and-WDC-Forum-Compatibility/td-p/167170

I,m having the same issue.

Same problem … longtime user, no problems for a few months, now having this problem frequently. First it says ‘connecting to netflix.’ then ‘retrieving titles’ then unaable to conect to netflix. Theres a little 100 by the error message, but you type that in at netflix and there’s no such code…  Also, when you hit “home” to leave netflix, get a strange querry… .It says “Undefined” and asks you to hit 'Yes." this is all new since Netflix introduced new menu…

It’s not just you. I hooked up a WD Live Hub this weekend. Got the two firmware updates between my unit and the 2.50.08 version installed and running.

For a while over the weekend, Netflix was streaming just fine…Even while copying some of my other TV episodes to the device in the background.

Starting Sunday night, Netflix would continually lock up the device completely. No tricks worked and even a full reset of the device proved to be only a temporary fix, as the same lock up issues would happen again and again.

I should also point out that I have streamed Netflix service on this laptop and an LG TV with the same service…both without issues during this time. All of this tells me that the Netflix Service, my home network, Internet connection, nor anything else in the chain is responsible for this…except for this device.

One thing I did notice about this iteration of the firmware relative to the Netflix service is it seems to be code incomplete. By that I mean, if you’re in the Netflix service and press the “Home” button on the remote, the pop-up box you get asking you to confirm your desire to leave the service is labeled as “Undefined”. My strong suspicion is that the freezeups are possibly caused either by incomplete code in the firmware revision and/or Netflix trying to “re-buffer” itself as it’s designed to do when it sense a loss of speed/connectivity and this particular device (or firmware) not knowing how to properly handle it.

-Steve

Yeah I think this “undefined” glitch when you hit home is the key for whoever is going to troubleshoot this on WDs end. I’ve been living with it since last firmware upgrade because it didn’t seem to interfere with performance, it was just annoying, but come to think of it we’ve had some buffering isues with netflix on demand when we never had before… we are on ATT DSL BTW.

Same problem just started for me today as well.  Nothing I’ve tried works.  I suspect an issue at Netflix as this has worked for months for me and fine even since the last firmware update.

Still getting the 100 error message on WD LIVE plus, can watch no problem on the laptop. Great.

This is not isolated to the WDTV products. The Roku forums are reporting the same issues. My boxee box cannot connect either.

My Hub and Plus don’t work, my TV is only partially working with NetFlix…( no thumbnails, and lots of missing series episodes). Haven’t tried the BD player or TiVo…

Same here. Nextflix working on everything, PC, Mac, iPhone, Wii, but not the WD Live Plus any longer.

Exact same problem started tonight 05/09/2011, tried all the same…suspect Netflix…Brighthouse Networks internet

http://support.roku.com/entries/20107806-resolved-netflix-streaming-service-interruption-mon-5-9-2011

ohyeah wrote:

Yeah I think this “undefined” glitch when you hit home is the key for whoever is going to troubleshoot this on WDs end. I’ve been living with it since last firmware upgrade because it didn’t seem to interfere with performance, it was just annoying, but come to think of it we’ve had some buffering isues with netflix on demand when we never had before… we are on ATT DSL BTW.

When I first installed the latest firmware (1.04.31) I had the ‘Undefined’ message when I tried to exit Netflix, but about a week later the problem fixed itself without installing new firmware. It turns out that the new Netflix interface is web-based. This means that Netflix can correct/change their interface without WD having to release a new firmware. I started a thread about that a couple of weeks ago. I wonder why mine is fixed and yours is not?

No more ‘undefined’ dialog box

The “Undefined” message is definitely on Netflix’s end; it comes and goes.  I thought it was fixed but it came back.

Not a big deal, since we know what the dialogue is asking.

05/10/11- Netflix streaming started working again about 1AM EDT last night. “undefined” exit button problem still there. Yes we can just click anyway but it would be more professional to fix it.

It’s still up to NetFlix to fix that part (again) :wink:

Sort of working, sort of not. Mine was, for a couple of episodes tonight…then froze completely again. Locked up the entire device and I was forced to pull the power and reset things.

Given that netflix doesn’t do that on either of the other two devices it runs on here, it may be a part of the problem (possibly a large one), but it’s not the only one going on with this thing.

-Steve

I had to re-register last night after un-registering on the WDTV unit and on the website itself (I do not know what actually worked, but the fact that I "deactivate"d the WDTV box 3 times through OSM’s and still got the same response, I believe that it was the website that did it).

Things are running again. After talking with Netflix on the phone, they said that almost all net devices (AKA Roku, etc) were having the same problem.

So this was not a WD problem, per se, but a problem on NF’s side (and seems to have been resolved).

I hope this is the last we hear of this for a bit! :wink: