WDTV Live and "blu-ray"

Ah, okay, an mkv file with True-HD, right?

I’ll try and dig something up tomorrow for testing (if you don’t get a reply from me by this time tomorrow you have my permission to nag at me by adding another message to this thread :>).

mkelley wrote:

Cocovanna jumped in the middle and now I’m lost as to what it was you were asking.

Sorry, just correcting your mistake about blu-ray PGS subs :wink:

Cocovanna

And there you go again .

However, it’s okay this time, because it reminds me to do this.  I actually did create an M2TS file with True-HD that I’ll try out on my Live when I get back from tennis this morning and let you know if the stereo core plays.

Slacker! :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks man. :stuck_out_tongue: 

Okay, finally tested it out and, yes, it does play (convert to stereo) the True-HD 5.1 surround sound track (we already knew it passed through the AC3 core to a receiver).

Thanks for that.

It might be worth adding here that the same occurs with DTS HD:MA audio - I searched and searched for a sample and managed to download one. The WDTV seems to play the DTS core no problem.

I’m having a problem here.

I tried a sample file from this link (Bit Harvest lossless):

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php

When I play it, the WDTV Live recognises the track as Dolby TrueHD (and has “digital” in brackets next to it) and does not play the audio. But, when I try a DTS:MA sample, it is recognised as a DTSMA track and the audio is played. What’s going on?

Previous files I’ve found have the core recognised only (so it comes up with either “AC3” or “DTS”) and the audio plays fine.

What’s the container type?

If it is “DDTrueHD (Digital)” from a M2TS container, you cannot get any stereo sound from the stereo outputs or HDMI. There is complete silence. I haven’t been able to get any sound through from this kind of track.

I do NOT know if there will be any sound if you use a receiver (with optical output or HDMI).

Edit: But of course you can extract the core with Handbrake, just not play it directly with the Live.

Cocovanna

I was able to get stereo sound (with the Live set to “stereo”) from the Live just fine from an M2TS container.  However, I was using the RCA audio outputs (because the TV I was testing this on didn’t have HDMI or Optical).

Don’t know why? Could it be different versions in US/Europe? Trust me, I have tried a LOT to get sound through, and no success. Weird.

Cocovanna

Mike, just to be completely sure that we understand each other … can you confirm, that you are able to hear a sound track, shown on the screen exactly as “DDTrueHD (Digital)”, from a M2TS container, through the RCA stereo outputs?

Cocovanna

Odaik wrote:

I’m having a problem here.

I tried a sample file from this link (Bit Harvest lossless):

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php

When I play it, the WDTV Live recognises the track as Dolby TrueHD (and has “digital” in brackets next to it) and does not play the audio. But, when I try a DTS:MA sample, it is recognised as a DTSMA track and the audio is played. What’s going on?

Previous files I’ve found have the core recognised only (so it comes up with either “AC3” or “DTS”) and the audio plays fine.

I downloaded that Bit harvest lossless file and it does not play the audio via HDMI or the stereo RCA output. There is some ‘noise’ but nothing distinguishable.

Cocovanna wrote:

Mike, just to be completely sure that we understand each other … can you confirm, that you are able to hear a sound track, shown on the screen exactly as “DDTrueHD (Digital)”, from a M2TS container, through the RCA stereo outputs?

Cocovanna

No, what I was saying (and what the original poster was asking) was whether the Live outputted stereo sound from a True-HD soundtrack.  It does – as I said in this thread earlier, it extracts the AC3 core most likely and converts it.

Now, I HAVE had True-HD sound through an M2TS container through HDMI (passed through to my receiver) but that was not what he was asking.

No receiver involved … just the RCA outputs. Is that True-HD sound track, you are able to hear (the core from) at these outputs shown as “DDTrueHD (Digital)” on the screen?

Cocovanna

With only a True-HD soundtrack, I am able to hear it when the Live is set for “stereo” and using the RCA outputs.  I can’t be any clearer than that.

But could you tell, how the Live displays the sound track description when you start playing (or change track)?

Cocovanna

No, I cannot (I don’t have that test file anymore and I’m not going to recreate it – I just have too much on my plate right now).

You can do this yourself (but it really doesn’t matter HOW it displays – if that’s the only track there and it’s playing it it’s playing it.  What difference does it make what it says?  You KNOW it has to be the AC3 core of that True-HD track, because it’s sure as heck not playing True-HD directly from the Live and when you choose stereo that’s the only thing it CAN do with it).

Mike, the problem is that you have some HD tracks that play at RCA – I (and others) have tracks that do not play; I was just trying to narrow down which tracks play and which don’t, when someone (like this thread) ask if it plays or not.

It is not a problem for me anymore, as I’ve converted all my stuff to MKV (and Blu-rays have other issues like fragmented movies), I was just trying to give OP a more qualified answer (which, I guess, is that his HD track won’t play in sterero)

Cocovanna

No, HIS stuff will – apparently YOU have some stuff that won’t.