WDTV Hub locks up

My Hub “locks up” when ever it is idle for a few minutes, or even if it has been truned off. (soft off) When I select a video to watch all I get is the “arrow chasing it’s tail” I have to reset the device to get any videos to play from that point on. It did not do this untill that last few days, and no settings have been changed, and the firmware is up to date. Any ideas what to do?

You could try:

Resetting via the bottom paperclip button. Press for about 1 second and then release with the unit fully booted up.

Reset to factory defaults via the internal menu

Unplugging from power for some minutes.

Do all 3 one after the other.

Have you noticed if its a particular file which causes the lockup. It may be a ‘bad’ file which will cause the unit to hang up on every file until a reset.

So far so good. I have performed both re-sets and completly configured the unit back to the way I had it. It has not locked up after several attemps to make it do so, so for now I think we have success… Thanks for the helpfull reply…

We are back to the locking up again. It lasted for a couple of hours, and then locked up and has to be reset from the system menu every time you want to view anything. I am currently copying files off the Hub, to a USB 1TB that is connnected via USB 1, but this is going to take weeks. The transfer speed is only 3.0 MB/second… I figure I will get it clean, perform a format and a complete reset as advised above. Any other suggestions?

Have you notice what file you played when the lock ups occurred. As I said it may be a ‘bad’ file which is causing it. The unit does not deal with what it considers bad files very well and after attempting to play it it will not allow you to play anything.

After rebooting, it does it on any file I have. Never the same twice… I can start a video, and watch for 30 minutes, and then pause and come back and it is locked. It even locks after turned on, and a warm reset is the only way to get it working again. Do you think the reformat and complete reset will help?

richUK wrote:

You could try:

Resetting via the bottom paperclip button. Press for about 1 second and then release with the unit fully booted up.

Reset to factory defaults via the internal menu

Unplugging from power for some minutes.

Do all 3 one after the other.

Have you noticed if its a particular file which causes the lockup. It may be a ‘bad’ file which will cause the unit to hang up on every file until a reset.

I been experiencing a similar situation. Now everytime we want to use the unit we have to unplug the power cord off in order to use it. Not sure it is the firmware or all the files I have copied already to the unit, but wondering if by doing this could fix my issue, not sure will try and post my results.

I finally have all the files removed from the Hub. Reformatted the drive, and did the complete restart back to factory, as stated above, and used it for 2 days now and it is working fine! I have not had any lock-ups or any other mishaps. I will NOT mass copy any files back to the drive for now, and will only do it over time as I rip or download.

RichUK, things are OK now with the exception that the media library does not auto update. If I add or delete any files I have to clear the library and let it rebuild. As I have a 1TB WD USB drive attached (with all the old video files on it) I need the library to navigate easly. Any suggestions?

FYI,

I had major problems after a firmware update which were only finally fixed by UNPLUGGING the unit.