Wdtv hub features?

Hello, I’m about to be an owner of the hub, after using the WDTV live media player for six months, I’m glad they’ve expanded.  My question is,  I see in the discription it says you can browse  to your favorite sites, does this mean I can punch in lifetime.com and watch anything I want?  If so, what wireless keyboard and or remote is everyone using for this?  It could get a bit tiresome arrowing up and down, left and right to the letters you want to enter.  Right now I’m using play on with my live media player.  Does it work on the hub?  And what other services out there will work with the hub?  Will film on work?  Thanks for all the help in advance, right now I’m using the network storage drive, 4TB, love it.  Have over 1500 movies 10 thousand songs, and 20 thousand pictures that I can access from any device in my house.

phantom72 wrote:

Hello, I’m about to be an owner of the hub, after using the WDTV live media player for six months, I’m glad they’ve expanded.  My question is,  I see in the discription it says you can browse  to your favorite sites, does this mean I can punch in lifetime.com and watch anything I want?  If so, what wireless keyboard and or remote is everyone using for this?  It could get a bit tiresome arrowing up and down, left and right to the letters you want to enter.  Right now I’m using play on with my live media player.  Does it work on the hub?  And what other services out there will work with the hub?  Will film on work?  Thanks for all the help in advance, right now I’m using the network storage drive, 4TB, love it.  Have over 1500 movies 10 thousand songs, and 20 thousand pictures that I can access from any device in my house.> * * *

Where does it say you can browse to your favorite sites??

If your KB works on your Live, it will work on your Hub.

On the amazon product page, says from the manufacturer that you can browse to your favorite sites.  And what’s KB?  I didn’t see that in my post.  Here is the page where I found that info on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Live-Media-Center/dp/B004GK0GKO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1296853944&sr=8-1

KB= Keyboard.

It says “Access internet favorites.”    It doesn’t say “Browse to your favorite sites.”  :)

Internet favorites is referring to the internet content like NetFlix, YouTube, Pandora, Flickr, Facebook, etc…

1 Like

Oh, I don’t currently use a keyboard with the live media player, that’s why I was asking what everyone is using for the hub.  Wireless would be nice, although I saw somewhere someone said that they just plug there USB keyboard in and it works just fine.

Oh, sorry…  I misread that. 

Yes, PlayOn works on the Hub just fine.

Anything else I should know about?  I know netflix, you tube, pandora, and flicker work just fine,  Are there any others out there that will work with it.  Ready to cut that cable cord completely!

I wouldn’t cut the cable too quickly. While The WD TV does some things very well, live TV is not one of them. If all you watch is prerecorded media, you’re good to go, but if live sporting events or episodic TV shows from major networks is your thing, you’ll still need that cable hookup.

Well, normally that would be the case.  but since I have a pretty good antana, I can still watch local programing.  And I have a PC that allows me to run a HDMI to the HDTV and view anything that’s on my PC moniter, this is possible, for me at least.  I’m not a big sports buff like I use to be, catching a game now and then is just fine for me now.  But primarly in this house hold it is prerecorded content.  Thanks for the heads up though.

That’s cool. I wish I could cut my cable, but there’s still some things I like to watch and record from cable-only networks like SpeedHD, TNTHD, USAHD, ESPNHD and a few others that make me keep it. I have my Media Center PC connected to a great HD antenna for all the local stuff and cable for the unencrypted stuff. Four tuners (2 digital, 2 analog) lets me stream just about anything I DVR on the PC to my Linksys extender connected to my 46" LCD. I got the Live Hub primarily to stream my Blu-Ray disc conversions to the LCD because they choke on the WMC extender.