WDTV Home Theater Issue

Hello.

So I have a Sony TZ-135 5.1 surround sound unit hooked up into my television via HDMI. I also have my WDTV going into my TV through HDMI. In the audio out for the WDTV I have it set for digital pass through but it still plays from the TV speakers instead of the home theater surround sound. Can anyone give me any ideas as to how to get surround sound working when I play a video through my WDTV? It’s driving me crazy. I should memtiom after setting audio to HDMI I only the summary detect channel: 6, sample: 32 44 48 and PCM Channel: 2, sample 32 44 48

So I am assuming it’s locating the surround sound just not using it… and using the tv speakers instead…

Thanks

Well, yeah, of course. Your TV doesn’t have HDMI **OUTPUT**, does it?

Makes sense now that you say that. I guess I am having trouble determining the best setup for my system. I have a TV with two HDMI inputs, WDTV Live, and a Reciever with one HDMI out. So I guess I will have to sacrafice the HD on the WDTV in lue of getting surround sound.

EDIT: If i go with an optical cable from the WDTV to my tv’s optical out, will that work?

If i go with an optical cable from the WDTV to my tv’s optical out, will that work?

No, you’re confusing INPUTS and OUTPUTS again.

Your TV’s Optical is an OUTPUT, not an INPUT.

Your receiver doesn’t have any HDMI *INPUTS*?

My reciever has one HDMI out which is currently in one of the two HDMI INPUTS on my TV. How can I get surround sound when using my WDTV? Thanks again for the help, im a bit slow here.

You would connect the HDMI OUTPUT of the WDTV to an HDMI INPUT on your RECEIVER.

And then go composite from the reciever to the TV? I guess I wont get HD on the WDTV. =\ thanks for the help.

No, your receiver’s job is to route the WDTV’s picture via HDMI to your TV.

as you said, your receiver is already hooked to your TV via HDMI.   So why would you then hook it up via Composite as well?

My reciever only has one HDMI output. If I use it for my WDTV, then I have nothing connecting to the tv… and dang, looks like my tv only has component while my recieve outputs video via composite… this isnt good =\ Do you think a non-passive splitter into my reciever to make two out would work?

traviss wrote:

My reciever only has one HDMI output. If I use it for my WDTV, then I have nothing connecting to the tv…

• *No. you would connect it to an HDMI INPUT, not the OUTPUT.

I don’t have an HDMI input on my reeciever, that is the problem, only output,. Would splitting the output allow me to connect the WDTV and my TV to it ?

What is the exact make and model of your receiver?

Your Sony TZ-135 has no digital sound input. I have just looket at the sony homepage. It only has one analog input. So you can’t have digital surround sound on your sony, if you play videos thru your SMP.

Your sony system is not an A / V receiver. It’s a standalone system.