WDTV doesn't play iso and m2ts files from share folders

I use my wdtv via cable with shared folders. mkv files with 30GB+ play fluently and start quite fast. when opening iso’s or a m2ts file the wdtv tries loading the file and even plays it, but i just get a black screen and no sound. just the timebar moves, but there is nothing to see or hear. what is the problem? it works via usb connection. i use the newest firmware.

//edit: i just tested some more formats. mov files for example lag very hard and some mpeg files don’t start as well. it seems like only mkv and avi files are fluently streamed…

Trying power cycling the Live (in other words, unplug from the power supply for 10 minutes).

I had the exact same issue with m2ts files not playing and the only way to resolve it was power cycling.

finally an easy solution!! =) thx

unfortunately this works just for the m2ts files. iso’s or .mov files still lag pretty hard (audio and video). you found out something for that as well?^^

Are they regular DVD ISOs?  They should work fine…

The .MOV files might depend on the codec and bitrate.  Can you paste the  MediaInfo output for a problematic file?

Yeah, i creaded the ISO’s with Nero totally regular. Dunno whats the problem as well…

Here is the MediaInfo of my .MOV File: (it’s a homemade vid i recorded with a Panasonic TZ-7)

General

Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : QuickTime
Codec ID                         : qt  
File size                        : 251 MiB
Duration                         : 1mn 59s
Overall bit rate                 : 17.6 Mbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2009-11-14 20:24:48
Tagged date                      : UTC 2009-11-14 20:24:48
Writing library                  : pana
Xtra                             : WM/MediaClassPrimaryID

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : M-JPEG
Codec ID                         : jpeg
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 17.1 Mbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate mode                  : Constant
Frame rate                       : 30.000 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.618
Stream size                      : 243 MiB (97%)
Language                         : English

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : PCM
Format settings, Endianness      : Big
Format settings, Sign            : Signed
Codec ID                         : twos
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 512 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 16.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 7.29 MiB (3%)
Language                         : English

Thx alot for your help!!

I may be wrong, but I don’t thing Motion JPEG is supported video format.

really? at least that would explain the problem… i just saw the .MOV token in the WDTV supported formats and thought it should run properly =/

still any ideas what’s wrong with my ISO files? why are they lagging so hard? is it a wdtv issue? i just created them with the nero image recorder and saved them as ISO’s…

Yeah, the MOV is a container; it can have multiple CODECs.   Container compatibility is one thing, CODEC compatibility is another.

Same with ISO; the ISO is just an image of the disk.   But if what’s inside the ISO is troublesome, then that’s another issue.  

I’ve never had good luck with Nero.  I used to use Nero to back up my DVDs to use in the Minivan (so the original isn’t exposed to heat for a long time).   When I tried to do a RIP from those backups (even fresh ones), Handbrake reported tons of errors in the encode.  No good… 

Thx for the reply. You have any good advice for Nero alternatives for ripping or creating images?

AnyDVD (with or without HD) is the gold standard (not freeware, but you get what you pay for).

DVDFab is the “Other” gold standard.   That’s what I use now…  Bought a lifetime license for it.

Thx for the input guys. At the moment i’m balancing about which program i will buy. i heard especially AnyDVD works great with CloneDVD together…

Will see, thx alot!

I suspect that even DVDFab will work fine with CloneDVD (which I also use).  Like Tony, I bought the lifetime license for AnyDVD HD and I am amazed and happy at how it’s updated (but to be fair, I have heard the same things about DVDFab).

To try and choose between the two you might visit both of their forums and ask some questions just to see if there’s any clear consensus (there probably isn’t, but there might be a specific feature that one has that the other doesn’t that fits your needs).

The one thing I do know about AnyDVD is they often run promotions where the price is greatly reduced (and they have a full 30 day free trial with no restrictions).  I bought it for like 40% off and I see they still run such deals all the time.