WDTV connected to 3TB WD external HDD

Hi all,

Some months ago I purchased a WDTV with a 3tb HDD.  I updated the firmware and began to copy my library of movies and music to the box.  

Everything was going peachy until I could no longer copy to the HDD from my notebook via the WDTV box that is hardwired to my router. 

The disk is at about 970gb capacity and it simply won’t let me copy any more files to it.  

The WDTV box in the settings says it’s a 3tb drive with ample space available.  When i plug the drive directly into my notebook and right click properties it also says it’s a 3tb drive however i’m unable to access the data on the drive when it’s connected directly to my notebook (access is denied). 

When i go into disk manager, it recognises it as a 3gb drive, however it doesn’t specify the type of petition. ie NTFS or other.  

Where am i going wrong? Help!

Chris

Can you please provide the model number for the WD TV?

If the file transfer stopped, something went wrong and the drive might need to be reformatted

you can use Data Lifeguard Diagnostics to test and erase the drive

Your format of the HD is not Fat 32. Larger capacities are not recognized without compliance. Reformat your HD or live with the limited capacity.

Hi All,

I’ve bought another drive to back up the files.   Turns out the drive was failing not because of the format, but because it was overheating.  Well at first I thought the drive was overheating, but it was actually the WDTV box.  Turned it all off, and used a fan to keep the HDD and WDTV box cool when i restarted it 10 mins later, everything was fine. 

Everything seems to work fine in folder view, but I also had problems with duplicate files showing up on the WDTV, despite there only being a single file on the drive when i map to it with my PC.

I followed the instructions as per another post, deleted the wd.tv hidden file and rebuilt the library.  I’m finding it’s still rebuilding the media library, 24 hours later.  Only 1.1TB of music and movies.  

I have a few questions.

1. Is there any kind of best practice manual to explain how to setup and maintain the WDTV live + WD MY Book Essential?   ie, when copying new movies or music to it, should I be doing it over the network via the WDTV or is it ok to plug the HDD straight into my PC?  Is that why I might be experiencing duplicates?

2. I never installed the WD Smartware software and it won’t install unless the HDD is connected direct to my PC via USB.  

3. Can I still install this software without losing the data on the drive; and can I remotely manage the drive, backups etc once the software is installed on my PC and the HDD is conntected to the WDTV?

4. There doesn’t seem to be any instructions as to how to set up playlists, rate music or seperate via genre.  Is this because the the drive is still compiling? Should it really take 24 hours for 1tb?

5. I have also tried to register the WDTV - I recieve an error saying unable to register due to a connection issue.  No problems playing youtube videos and accessing the internet though. 

Thanks in advance for your help.
Bluevein

Further update.  I have definitely issolated the problem with the system locking up.  Only seems to happen when i’m copying files to the drive whilst playing a movie or listening to music.  Nothing to do with either the drive or the wdtv over heating.  I assume the WD My Book essential doesn’t like to be thashed,

I have again rebuilt my media library, deleting the hidden files and duplicates are starting to appear again.  

Quote "If the file transfer stopped, something went wrong and the drive might need to be reformatted

you can use Data Lifeguard Diagnostics to test and erase the drive"

I don’t believe there are bad sectors on the drive.  It just can’t multi task thats all.  But i’m running DLD on it now.

Quote “Your format of the HD is not Fat 32. Larger capacities are not recognized without compliance. Reformat your HD or live with the limited capacity.”

It wouldn’t specify FAT or NTFS in disk manager originally.  Now it does for some reason. It’s formatted to NTFS and has 1100gb of data on it. 

Very frustrated - I’m thinking of sending it back to the shop and buying an Apple IP TV.

Just confirming to everyone yes i’m running the latest firmware.