WDTV audio server with DC/DC Power Supply

Hello,

For those who like to hear audiophile music do this:

1. Rip your CD’s to your PC with the EAC (Exact Audio Copy) app.
  2. Copy the files to a USB pen (not a HDD) and put in the  WDTV
  3. Use the WDTV with an external DAC (I use DacMagic form Cambridge):

Them if you want to hear true audiophile music, then build a 12V 1,5A (max) DC/DC Power Supply (batteries). Truly amazing. For those who ask, I’ll send them the diagram by mail.

Regards

P.S. I hope the guys from WD keep their promise to solve the downsampling in audio.

fmnp62 wrote:

Them if you want to hear true audiophile music, then build a 12V 1,5A (max) DC/DC Power Supply (batteries). Truly amazing. For those who ask, I’ll send them the diagram by mail.

Regards

Is that 8 D cells in series?

1 Like

It´s a LM7812 CK regulator with capacitors and voltage correction with resitences. And two 12V 4,5 Ah in serie (24V.)

fmnp62 wrote:
It´s a LM7812 CK regulator with capacitors and voltage correction with resitences. And two 12V 4,5 Ah in serie (24V.)

I believe the LM7812 is a 1 amp regulator and you need to drop 12 volt across the regulator. Do you have a large heatsink?

I only have to drop form 15V to 12V. But like this, the batteries last long. I have a 10x8 cm heat-sinker.

So how do you get the 24V to 15V?

No, No. Your Vin is 24v. The regulator works without shutting down until he reach the 15V. So the batteries work until the sum of the two have 15v to supply.

At some point you would have 24V which needs to be dropped to 12V. I realise that over time the voltage will drop but with new batteries there will be 24V (or slightly more). That extra voltage has to be dropped across the voltage regulator or somewhere. If you are supplying 12 volt at 1amp then you need to dissipate 12 watts.

24 Volts input - 12 volts output = 12 volts dropped.

12 Volts dropped x 1 amp = 12 watts.

Yes, but, while the voltage in the input drops along the 24V to 15 V, the dissipated power will decrease. And you don’t always have 1A in the output load because it is not a fixed current. Sometimes you have less, much less, sometimes even more than 1A (short- circuit - 1,5A, peak current - 2,4A). So the heat (not too much) it will warm your listening (very much)

Why do this at all? Isn’t the DacMagics PSU already voltage regulated and filtered?

You probably don’t understand or I didn’t explain myself right. The PS is for the WDTV Live, not for the DAC!

The output of the WDTV is digital. Digital output is immune to power supply noise.

Oh my god.

Its the most sensible part. Why? I let you figure why.

No fluctuations, no"digitalite", powerfull bass, stage tack sharp, beautiful treble, magical voices, perfect, just perfect.

Probably what I didn’t tell you yet is that I’ve lowered the resistance of the output capacitors to have also very good response to transients (but we could not tell everything, right?) I did something in other places of the circuit, too…

Try it and then tell me something. From night to day.

You will probably hate me as most of my audio collection is 128K mp3 files - arghh. Mind you in my youth I listened to medium wave radio so therefore anything now is hifi to me now. Or as a friend once said why do I need a £1000 hifi when I only have £1 ears.

I don’t know the values of my ears but, my Hi-FI is 1000€ (all). And the most important part (the WD TV only cost me 100€)

I bet that your AM Radio would cost much more (equivalent money value) at the time you hear…:wink:

fmnp62 wrote:

I don’t know the values of my ears but, my Hi-FI is 1000€ (all). And the most important part (the WD TV only cost me 100€)

I bet that your AM Radio would cost much more (equivalent money value) at the time you hear…:wink:

How do you know that I did not use a crystal set! Very small outlay. :wink:

Touché! :flushed: