I have a WDTV gen 3. Great little thing.
Came home yesterday to find it not booting. This is what happens:
- Switch device on by plugging in power
- Device powers on, HMDI screen comes on - see the WDTV flash screen
- Stays here no flashing lights, but front light on solid. Network lights show some activity (not much) Screen stays, does not progress
- Hold down power button on remote… device turns off
- Turn device back on using remote.
- Hangs at boot screen again. Sits there nothing happening
I thought this might be a firmware issue, so:
- Formatted USB key (FAT32)
- Downloaded latest official firmware
- Copied over files
- Edited the version file so it would realise it was a newer firmware
- Booted device
- Recognised the firmware
- Firmware flashed, device rebooted, took out USB key.
- Device still sits at boot screen.
- I have tried this for the last 3 firmwares released from WDTV… still no luck
- I have also tried the reset button on bottom of device - nothing happens at all - even when held for 30 seconds +
- I have opened the box and disconnected the power switch to motherboard - still no joy.
- I have tried connecting to composite only. And still no joy.
- Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems like a software error not hardware - the device is there it responds to remote control, it flashes the firmware - just nothing after that.
- I have not tried any unofficial firmwares - and have heard about an emergency flash - but haven’t tried this either.
Thanks for you help and time