.wdtemp folder

I believe I have an explanation for the cause, which hopefully will contribute to a solution. I have a similar problem with the WD Sync program filling the .WDTemp folder with what at first appears to be random files. In the first 30 days of use on my system the .WDTemp folder on my PC contained 87,000 files for a total of 500GB (these are not typos), and my PC ground to a halt until I deleted all these temp files. I’ve done some testing since and here is what is happening. WD Sync is unable to sync about 10 of my music files (reason unknown), each about 6MB - I know they are failing sync because WD Sync announces each failure using a dialog box. I have determined that each time it is unable to sync a file, it creates a copy of the file in .WDTemp, with a random long alphanumeric filename; looking inside each file I can see that it is a complete copy of the original music file. WD Sync then attempts to resync the failed files every minute or so, and on each failure it adds a new copy of each failed file to .WDTemp. You can watch this happening by leaving the .WDTemp folder open and watching files rapidly filling the folder. In my case, there are 10 unsync-able music files at about 6MB each, so blocks of 10 files get created every minute or so in .WDTemp. To prevent this, I have stopped syncing my music files until a solution is found. I have created a support case and will share whatever I learn.

3 Likes