I’ve had the same 4TB WDSharespace in use for about 3-4 years now. Nothing ever changes with it or the network. It has been hooked up to a 48 port switch. It has a static ip address of 220.127.116.11 of which 30 computers have been connecting to by either \18.104.22.168 or \WDSHARESPACE. The last few weeks by backups have been failing with “network path not found”. I then try to ping 22.214.171.124 and get nothing. Try the usual \126.96.36.199 and nothing. Web interface is dead too. But oddly enough I can see it in the network connections.
Shutting it down completely and powering it back on temporarily fixes it. I will immediate get a ping reply and everything works. Then anywhere from a few hours to a day, back to the same thing.
I have had the latest bios for a long time now. All hard drives show as good. I am trying to avoid a reset because it’s a pain to redo all the shares.
Anyone have a clue on this?
Have you tried setting another Static IP?
I have not tried setting a different ip yet. There is no DHCP for the desktops and the DHCP for the laptops/cell’s are ranged from 188.8.131.52 to 184.108.40.206. At first I thought maybe something else was getting the IP address but then looked in the router and only the normal 2 printers are that high @ 220.127.116.11/251.
When I came in this morning and rebooted it, it worked fine and is still working at the moment. But as the past has shown, it won’t last long. The biggest thing I can’t understand is how I can see it in the network neighborhood but not be able to get the ip address and/or connect to it.
Note: I had at one point disconnected the router which supplies the DHCP and the issue still happened. Other then that it is connected to a 48 port switch so unless something else was trying to “take” that ip address, I couldn’t figure it out.
I tried changing the IP address as well but in the end, the result was the same.
So I decided to break it down and pull the drives and test them individually.
The unit came with 4 - 1TB drives. A couple years ago a drive failed in the array.
I took the drive out and rebuilt the array using jspan so that left me with 3TB of space.
The first drive I tested was good. However the second drive has 3 unrecovreable bad sectors.
I am currently testing the third drive. Not being very linux savvy, I am not sure how to block out
those 3 sectors from being used. More used to windows based system whereas I would
use chkdsk /r to block them out.
I am also considering replacing the drives since these 1TB green drives are simply junk to begin
with. I have seen threads on that and will look at them for a future project.
I can’t guarentee this is the problem, but I do know that having 3 unrecoverable bad sectors is not good.
I am hoping that maybe since this is part of a jspan that it just hitting the bad sector area and causing the issue.
As I mentioned before, I can see the “computer name” in netwook neighborhood but not access any folders
or web interface or even ping the static ip address. Rebooting works, but only temporary.