WDmyBook ESS,DEAD

Hello people

so i’ve been using WD for some years now and never had any trouble, a few days ago i got my hands on a “secon hand” WD my Book essential edition external HDD, since this was my first time using an external WD HDD, i really didn’t know what you had to do in order to make it work, it took me a while to work the “password issue” out, but in the end i got it working…i mean… since it was second hand…   Then, i tried to format using windows tool, i set it to ntfs and obviously didn’t click on “quick format”… which took forever and didn’t even moved a bit… so i canceled it and tried to update the firmware which was working fine untill it froze and stayed like that… so i unplugged the drive (yeah i know) and plugged back again only to discover that it wouldn’t work

I can only see the little light but it doesn’t do anything else, no blinks, no weird sounds… nothing…

device manager doesn’t even see it…

Im working under W7 64bits ultimate edition

i must also say that before all this, the drive was working fine, i mean, it was properly detected but it was password protected…

i found myself deeply frustrated working with this device, im truly happy with WD products, i own a couple of passports and many internal drives, but working with this HDD just make me wanna throw it in the garbage just like the person before me did… but i got patience and time…

so please guys… little help will be much appreciated

thank you

…Dude you followed all the rules on how to brake your drive. :neutral_face: With the serial number you can check the warranty and see if you can replace it. But just in case check on the disk management if it’s still recognized.

https://westerndigital.secure.force.com/WarrantyCheck?lang=en

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1284/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0MjcyNDc1OC9zaWQvKkVFQ3J5MWw%3D

yes i know… please read the post again, i clearly said i bought it as “SECOND HAND” thus with no warranty… i also said device manager (disk management) does NOT recognized the drive… so let’s not confused more people with useless tips please

Just in case “SECOND HAND” doesnt mean “out of warranty”, if the serial # is inside the warranty time frame you can replace it. Also Device manager and disk management are not the same thing…just trying to help :wink:

ok, let it be clear

theres no warranty

i don’t wanna sound like a douche but it’s been more than 10 years since i took my pc to the IT guy to make repairs…

im definitely not an expert but i do my best to do things by myself… what i’m trying to say is i know the difference between device manager and disk management, i know you’re trying to help but none of the things you’ve said has actually helped…

anyway, i’ve come to the conclussion that i got a “DEAD CIRCUIT BOARD” which is unlikely to bring back to life, which i also doubt you’d know how to… right?

wonder if i could buy a board from wd…

good news is the drive is ok so i can still use it as internal…

Yup, for what you are describing it sounds like the board got bricked after the firmware installation failed. WD doesn’t sell replacement parts, but if someone can give you a couple of tips on how to find a board on eBay is  fzabkar (replacement board guru). 

now that’s a tip…

thanks!!

Try download a firmware update , then try your hard drive