WDLXTV - Moviesheets Vs Linksheets

@pearl;

Huge thanks for your post and detailed info - really made sense without any tech jargon and good to know the GBBM theme worked for you also on a SMP.

So, to make sure I have everything right before I begin this…

1. Turn off and remove media libary on my existing WDTV Live setup as all of those auto-generated MetaThumb files and XML files are no longer required if I am using WDTVLX FW, Linksheets, GBBM Theme bundle and TG.

2. Remove all existing (old) MetaThumb and XML files that were auto-generated by my WDTV Media Libary from each of my folders.

3. Download the 2.01.86-EXT3_Palace_Stock_Plus-0.0.4 (380MB) file from the link KAD79 kindly provided.  Follow the included instructions etc. for booting and this will give me WDTVLX Firmware on my WDTV Live SMP - instead of the crappy stock FW.  (If I have any issues, post in the WDTVLX forum as opposed to here.)

4. Download TG and open.

5. Download GBBM Theme Pack from here ( http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Themes/Theme-GoodBye-Black-Mamba-LinkSheet-Updated-Dec-14th/td-p/510386), follow the instructions and add the theme pack to TG.  (a) In the pdf instructions, it says something about renaming but as I don’t have a current moviesheet, I assume this won’t apply to me?  (b) When links and instructions refer to putting things in the ‘Theme Root Folder’, I know this is usually the uppermost (beginning) folder, but can someone please give me an example of the ‘path’ for clarity? 

i.e. Say all of my movies/TV programs are in separate folders on Drive L (my NAS) -

“L:\HD Movies”

and or

“L:\HDTV\Homeland.Seasons 1-3.[HD]”

…if I am creating sheets for Homeland, is there a folder that will be auto-generated by WDTVLX, GBBM and/or TG that I move all of these files to, or what?

1. Check forums and YouTube etc. for a better understanding of TG and how to utilise it properly.

2. Figure out the workaround for the 30MB limit on my SMP (or 13MB limit when using GBBM Theme).  After reading the links provided, it only seems possible to work-around this limit with a USB Stick permanently inserted into the back of the WDTV Live.  Is there no other way around this?  Considering my WDTV Live is directly connected to a 6TB NAS (and my NAS directly networked to a 30TB Tower Raid) is it not possible to set up a folder somewhere on any drive and point the WDTV Live to this for all the Linksheet info I generate?  If not, I can dig out an old USB key, but the folder option would be easier and more future proof - especially when looking at thousands of Linksheets.

3. The Linksheet step-by-step guide (pdf) says: “5. copy the renamed movie sheet into the root folder of the theme…done”.  Where is the root folder of the theme?

Step-by-step (pdf) guide that came with GBBM Bundle.

Steps 1 & 2 - fine. 

Step 3 - confused.  The ‘cover box’ & ‘sheet’ are the exact same jpg for a start (I thought they would be different) as in, I thought one would look like the image in the bottom right corner of TG - the main sheet in MovieSheet Editor.

Step 4 - ok I think.  I changed the moviesheet file extension .jpg to (in this case) .avi, but do I only change the extension?

Step 5 - as I written above, copy the renamed moviesheet to where?  What root?

Step 6 - fine. Changed (removed) .jpg extension.  It now just reads ‘folder’.

Sorry for all this, I’m just trying to get off on the right foot here.  A bit like a learner driver - we were all one once, now they just annoy everyone, so sorry if this post is VERY Noob.  Hopefully it will really explain things for other Noobs just getting started.

@KAD79;

Many thanks for your posts also and for pointing me in the right direction.  And to @JoeySmyth too, who gave me a lot of info (and a headache which I clearly asked for :smiley: )

1 Like