WDLive won't start up after none use of a week

THis has happened a few times. I get a blank green screen on the tv when I power up the WDLive after some time of none use.

I have to uplugg it for a while and even  push the reset button on the side.

Frustrating when you want to use it and everybody is waiting.

Is this unit defective???

So you’re saying that when you power it down, wait five or ten minutes, and then power it back up that everything is fine?  It’s only after a week (or a few days) that it does this?

If so, it doesn’t sound to me like a defective unit (electronics have no “memory” in terms of how long they’ve been powered off beyond 10 or 15 minutes).  It might be that in that week you’ve had a power surge, or even small blackout, and something has happened to the unit.  If that’s common I’d leave the Live unplugged until you need to watch it.

I’m not sure… this has happened at least 3 times. I don’t believe I have power surges or outages as I would see that in my other equipment that would report that to me. It is uncommon for power fluctuations in this area.

The trend is, if you yuse it daily, it is ok, use it once in 1 or 2 weeks and it may not work, gives me a dull green screen that does not recover. Even power down and on or unplug the power and plug in  and pressing reset button does not bring it back.

Used it last night and today it is still ok. If I don’t use it until maybe next week or more, it may give me the dull green screen of death and a long process to revive it again.

I may try and unplug it like you said… but then why have an on off switch?

Very impressive when you want to show it off to family and friends!  NOT…

Leaving it unplugged for a while may bring it back. It is not in a hot environment either. It has the latest firmware.

Network switch is beside it which also connects to the TV and the BlueRay. HDMI is used. The media is on a NAS on the network.

I like the unit but these events are not favourable.

Still sounds like power problems to me – it *could* even be the power adapter that’s fluctuating.  There’s no way that the unit will “know” how long it’s left off, so whether it’s a day or a year it won’t be the unit that’s doing it.

I’ve gone “green” with smart power strips that power things completely down when I shut off my main device.  Depending on your setup you might check into one of these (if nothing more it will save you some money in the long run).  You could plug your TV and the Live in, for example, and when you turn the TV off it will kill the power completely on the Live (and vice versa – TV comes on and power to the Live comes on.  They are very nice and you can get a good one for around $20 at Amazon).

That’s not a bad idea. I have so many things plugged in and all protected by a good surge protection power bar, I’ll have to figure out what shuts down to coordinate the WD shut down. However, I will unplug the unit for the week or until I want to use it again.

I know it doesn’t know how how it is off, but the trend has been established… use it regularly and it works, don’t use it and it will not work when you want it.

Thanks…

Here’s a link in case you need it:

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Energy-Saving-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B000P1QJXQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272226562&sr=8-3

Works great for me.

I used the WDLive last night, but this morning I had to power it down and power back on again (without unplugging it) to get it to show on the TV screen. Spoke to another WDLive user and he ha experienced the same thing.

Weather has been good here and no power glitches. All my PC’s are fine especially my DVR.

astr4000 wrote:

I used the WDLive last night, but this morning I had to power it down and power back on again (without unplugging it) to get it to show on the TV screen. Spoke to another WDLive user and he ha experienced the same thing.

Weather has been good here and no power glitches. All my PC’s are fine especially my DVR.

Try unplugging the power adapter from both the power strip and the device.  Plug the adapter into the wall, and then into the WD TV.  The WD TV should power on without using the remote.  If it doesn’t, there’s either something wrong with the power adapter or with the WD TV, and one or the other should be replaced.

Well, I did as you said and it powered up as always but got a blank screen, hit the reset button a few times and it repowered itself and still a blank screen after a few minutes, still the same, I even unplugged the HDMI cable and plug back in and then I got the normal screen.

Still something wrong.

Try using the composite output lead (or component). The WDTV has to recognise the TV before it brings up a screen. It may be something up with it recognising the HDMI.

That’s a thought.  THe WDLive connects to the HDMI input og the Yamaha A/V Receiver RX-V765 and then the HDMI goes to the TV.

What I need to check in this case is the order of power on device set by the harmony 880 to make sure the TV powers on first then then the Yamaha  (or the Yamaha first and TV next) all the other devices and the WDLive last.

I’ll report back how this goes.

So this could be the problem with the WDLive coming on before the Yamaha & TV.

For my Harmony One I always have the TV come on first, then my Yamaha receiver, then the Live.  This seems to work fine for me (actually, nowadays I have the Live powered by the Smart Strip, so when the TV comes on it triggers the Live).

astr4000 wrote:

That’s a thought.  THe WDLive connects to the HDMI input og the Yamaha A/V Receiver RX-V765 and then the HDMI goes to the TV.

What I need to check in this case is the order of power on device set by the harmony 880 to make sure the TV powers on first then then the Yamaha  (or the Yamaha first and TV next) all the other devices and the WDLive last.

I’ll report back how this goes.

So this could be the problem with the WDLive coming on before the Yamaha & TV.

I believe to auto-detect it must see the TV. Plug your HDMI directly into your TV and see if the WDTV works, then work back from there.

Ok…!I have made sure the WDLive is the last item to turn on withthe harmony 880.

That seems to have solved the problem, so far 100% success everytime.

The HDMI cable goes to AV Receiver and then to TV.

TV on first

AV Receiver on next

WDLive on last

I think we can put this case to rest and others to learn from it.

Thanks to all

Glad you got it working.  Enjoy.

Can you press the solved button if you are now happy. Thanks