WDLive TV does not see shared Windows 10 folder

Hello,

I’ve scoured in the internet in search of a solution, but I’m at a loss. I’ve made this post in a last effort to find a solution, before selling my WDLive TV and buying a streamer that actually works.

The problem is this: WDLive TV does not see my shared Windows 10 folder. It has an internet connection, Netflix works just fine, it even sees my computer, but it keeps saying ‘invalid username and password’ when trying to connect. Using the guest account doesn’t work. So I made a separate account in Windows 10 (as suggested) and use that information to log in. Other computers in my network can access the shared folder just fine. Resetting the WDTV Live, clearing the login info doesn’t help. Changing workgroup to homegroup results in the WDTV Live not seeing the computer anymore.

I’ve given everyone (as in, literally everyone, the Adminstrator and WDTV Live accounts plus Guest accounts) read/write access to the shared folder. Network discovery is on, Media streaming is on and password protection is disabled for all networks (private, public and guest). Still nothing. The above sums up basically every suggestion I’ve found on Google. So, what’s left for me to try?

Please help!

Kind regards,
Sprony

This has been a problem since forever. I have no advice for direct access to the folder but I do have a suggestion. If all you want to do is access media files in a shared folder why not install media server software on that Win10 machine? You can then easily browse and play those files by accessing via the Media Servers option.

There are a number of free services ypu can try. I use Tversity, but there’s also UMS. Both allow you to play the files natively (no transcoding) so it’s the same as if you went through the Windows folder.

That’s brilliant mate. I already tried that with UMS, but I was still searching for the Windows Shares instead of Media Server. I just tested it and it works! Thank you so much!

1 Like

Glad it works for you!