WDFirmwareUpdater: "The application has encountered an unexpected error and is now exiting”

Environment: HP Pavilion dv7 Laptop, I7 core, 16 Gegs, Windows 7, Norton 360

WD:       My Passport 1Tb connected via USB 3, WD Smartware configured for continuous backup

Event Sequence:

1.  Connect My Passport
  2. Download WDFirmwareUpdater and extract to desktop
  3. Start Norton 360 Admin
  4. In Norton 360 go to Settings/Antivirus, stop Boot-Time Protection and Real-Time protection/Auto-Protect. All other options turn gray
  5. In Norton 360 go to Settings/Firewall, turn off Smart Firewall
  6. Exit Norton
  7. Reboot Laptop
  8. Start Norton 360 Admin and verify Antivirus and Firewall stopped
  9. Start WD Smartware from the status bar
  10. In WD Smartware, stop backup

Then I run WDFirmwareUpdater as Administrator and immediately get the error: "The application has encountered an unexpected error and is now exiting”.

Nothing written to the Event log. No other logs visible.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Carl

Hello and welcome, 

You can try uninstalling the Passport drivers, to do it first disconnect any other USB storage, go to the Device Manager and expand the row called “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”.  Right click on “USB Mass Storage Device” and then “uninstall”. Reboot your computer - the OS should install the device again on reboot. After this try installing the firmware again. You can also try to do it from another PC, but Just in case it is optional to install the firmware if everything is working fine

Hi,

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, and

I don’t seem to have an “USB Mass Storage Device” under “Universal Serial Buss Controllers”. Here is the list of devices under “Universal Serial Buss Controlers”

USB devices.jpg