WDEP "network" setup

Hi,

I’ve recently bought a WD Elements Play 2Tb, which so far I’m really happy with!

Mostly out of curiosity, I was wondering if there was a way to directly or indirectly connect it to a network.

The first solution I’ve thought of would be to constantly leave a PC (actually a Sheeva plug but same idea) attached to it and just leave it there, however does the WDEP let you play things whilst a PC is still plugged into it?

The other solution I thought could work would be to plug a NAS into the WDEP, but would this actually work?

Ideally I’d like to go for the first solution as it’d be a bit more flexible in my case, but I’d really appreciate any input from people who’ve tried something similar.

Thank you.

Hi there, I don’t think any of that is going to work as the EP has no networking capabilities at all and it won’t play files while connected to the computer…

Try a Live Hub :wink:

Thanks a lot for your reply ThePizzaMatrix. I’ve had a look at the Live Hub but I would rather not dish out another £120 for something that essentially does the same thing as the EP except for the network capabilities. What do you think of using a NAS as an external drive for the EP?

Thanks.

Most NAS devices don’t do USB connectivity as SLAVES, only HOSTS.

TonyPh12345, I’m aware of this fact, but since some are I thought I’d chance it :slight_smile:

I’m now looking into something like this http://hsti.com/shop/wireless-media-sticktm-2-0-new-look-4.html which apparently works really well. The only problem is that it’s a bit pricey, but I’m actually looking into setting up something similar with my N900.