WDC WD4005FZBX0 makes wierd noise

Hi, I bought this 4 TB WD black enterprise and it makes wierd noises when I run Data Lifeguard Diagnostic . I also tried HDDScan the noise accours when I run the butterfly test. I will share the test result aswell as the noise it makes when I run the test. Also When I enter the serial number the warranty doesnt show up. I tried the same with WD black 1 tb and it showed the warranty. What should I do ?!

the noise it makes when testing: Stream episode WD Black 4 TB Noise by blt podcast | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

I recently bought a 4TB WD Black drive and can confirm it makes this audible noise as well running the same test, as well as a “clunk” noise every 5 seconds.

Hope it is normal :confused:

This 'constant clicking is still presently occurring in Nov, 2020 with a brand new WD4005FZBX Drive…
This constant clicking is occurring while the other two internal hard drives are preforming quietly as normal.
The click/tapping brings back memories of hard drives from the DOS days way back.
If this clicking is ‘normal’, please let us know so I can return it and get a totally different drive.
Thank you.
WD4005FZBX - 00K5WB0

Given the heads are moving very fast is the reason for the noise. It’s nothing to be concerned about. WD has tested the disks to be sure they are durable.

I still use the HDD. Didn’t have a problem so far

I also just purchased this drive and it makes the same noises. Here is another thread discussing a different model 4Tb drive which also makes the same noises:

I am thinking it is normal since this is in different models and covers a couple of years. These sounds though don’t encourage confidence in the drives.

Hearing Same noise and a slight like clunk sound every so often with my new Western Digital 4TB Black hard drive, my Previous Black 1TB didn’t make the same noises

Smart test passed fine
Short Test passed fine
I assume an extended test would as well, but haven’t ran that yet

Crystal Disk info shows no problems on any of my drives inside the system

Should i investigate this further or just chalk it up to normal noise with this large of drive