wdblgt0040kbk

I am interested in purchasing a WDBLGT0040KBK DX4000 4TB NAS but the product literature is very sketchy about the number of drives in the unit.  I want 4 drives setup in a Raid 5 Array.  Does anyone know if it comes standard with 4 1TB drives?

Also, is there an anti-virus add-in available for Windows 2008 R2 Storage Server Essentials?

Lastly, is power management configurable?  I want the drives to spin down when not in use overnight and essentially the rest of the sever to sleep as well.  The unit will be in a location where there will be no usage at night.

My decision to purchase will be based on the answers.

Thank you,

Bill

I wonder the same, but if you think of the old Sharespace then it should come with 4 1TB drives to allow the configuration.

Anyone from Western Digital out there care to answer my questions?  I will make a purchase right away if I can get my questions answered.

The only 3 part numbers I’m seeing on websites is the 4TB with Raid1, 8TB raid 5 and 12TB raid 5.

Why do you prefer 4x1TB in Raid 5 over 2 drives mirrored?

… because a 4x1TB raid 5 would have 3TB usable space.

A 2x2TB in mirrored would have only 2TB usable.

Wilbert:   Judging by these specs:

4 TB and 6 TB: 10.76 lb (4.88 kg)
8 TB and 12 TB: 14.0 lb (6.35 kg)

The 4 and 6 TB versions have 2 drives.

The 8 and 12 TB versions have 4 drives.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

… because a 4x1TB raid 5 would have 3TB usable space.

A 2x2TB in mirrored would have only 2TB usable.

Wilbert:   Judging by these specs:

4 TB and 6 TB: 10.76 lb (4.88 kg)
8 TB and 12 TB: 14.0 lb (6.35 kg)

The 4 and 6 TB versions have 2 drives.

The 8 and 12 TB versions have 4 drives.

Ahhh but the 2X2TB would still be the better choice. It would allow you to later purchase 2 more drives and upgrade to 8TB down the road without having to replace all 4 drives and migrate over your data. From what I read in the manual it looks like it supports auto conversion from Mirroring to RAID 5 when you upgrade too… Correct me if i’m wrong WD (or anyone who has the unit)

Hi Bill,

here are a few anti-virus options for WD Sentinel:

Details on Avast’s offering:

http://www.homeserverland.com/2011/05/windows-home-server-2011-needs-anti-virus-support/

Link to Trend’s offering on Pinpoint:

http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/applications/worry-free-business-security-services-12884915437

There isn’t a power management feature built in yet, but we are looking into those options for a future release.

And lastly:

4 TB units come with 2 x 2TB drives preconfigured in RAID 1 and 8 TB units come with 4 x 2 TB drives configured in RAID 5.

Cheers,

Vineet