wdbctl0020hwt + WD Green WD10EZRX

Hello. I have case: wdbctl0020hwt and drive: WD Green WD10EZRX (1TB, 64MB, SATA/600)

My question is: its possible to make them work together?

If yes i need to make partiotion on it, i saw some topics about that, but i dont know what partition i need to make.

Some one can help me?

I succesfully get it working but not exacly. I can get into web ui, to my cloud but is slow and dont show how much space i have on it.

I used this instruction:

Howto replace or restore original firmware:

* You can use any of *nix system. I use Debian (Ubuntu similar).
* All command runing from root user. Or use Sudo.
* First thing after boot in liveCD - install software: apt-get update && apt-get install mdadm parted

!! For install new HDD - go from p.1. If you repare exist HDD - go to p.8-2

1. Use fdisk -l (or parted -l) for see what name have you WD’s HDD.
    * For me - its /dev/sdb. Replace it to your hdd name!

2. Run parted utility:
    parted /dev/sdb

3. Type “print” for see what partitions exist on disk

4. Remove all: Type “remove 1” (where 1 - number of partition)

5. Crete new table:
    mklabel gpt
    mkpart primary 528M 2576M
    mkpart primary 2576M 4624M
    mkpart primary 16M 528M
    mkpart primary 4828M -1M
    mkpart primary 4624M 4724M
    mkpart primary 4724M 4824M
    mkpart primary 4824M 4826M
    mkpart primary 4826M 4828M
    set 1 raid on
    set 2 raid on

6. Ok, type “quit”

7. Format data partition:
    mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb4

8-1. Prepare main RAID partition (For rootfs): mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2
* Type “watch cat /proc/mdstat” and wait 100%. Then - [ctrl] + [c] for close.

8-2. Stop auto-loaded raid: mdadm --stop /dev/md127 (Sometimes you can see another numbers - see in: ls /dev | grep md)
8-3. Start normal raid (/dev/md0 is important!): mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2

1. Use data partition as download folder:
    mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb4 /mnt
    cd /mnt

2. Download backup arhive to /mnt folder:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVQ2l5MTNvQk1xSUU/view?usp=sharing

3. Extract by console:
    tar xvfz original_v3.04.01-230.tar.gz

4. Ok. Upload backup images to WD’s hdd:
    dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sdb5
    dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sdb6
    dd if=config.img of=/dev/sdb7
    dd if=config.img of=/dev/sdb8
    dd if=rootfs.img of=/dev/md0

5. Shutdown PC. (Or use “Logout” in menu)
    shutdown -p -H 0

6. Connect HDD to WD’s plate and turn on WDMyCloud. Wait ~5-10 min.

I think i made mistake with partitioning.

Can someone can tell me how i can fix this?

Welcome to the Community.

The following thread could be helpful for your needs. However, please bear in mind this is not warranted or supported by Western Digital.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/GUIDE-Debrick-a-completely-dead-MyCloud/m-p/704480/highlight/true#M10660

This thread shows how to extract a genuine rootfs.img from a WD firmware upgrade zip file; this seems preferable to using random images from file sharing websites:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-My-Cloud/td-p/651195

I used this instruction:

Where did you find those instructions? If we can read the whole thread, we may be able to help more easily.

Isn’t this a wast of time using a 1TB drive?

RAC

I did briefly wonder that, too, but I assumed the OP had a dead drive, and was trying to use a disk to get it doing something, or was experimenting prior to buying a larger drive…

The instructions must have come from here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVejVic2ZubXBfbHM/edit

Which I think may be fox_exe’s instructions and image*

Interestingly, google doesn’t find the document on google drive…

* [edit] yes, they are: found here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVejVic2ZubXBfbHM/view?pli=1

From this thread: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Rebuild-your-My-Cloud-or-upgrade-the-HDD-on-it/td-p/675109/page/3

rac8006 wrote:

Isn’t this a wast of time using a 1TB drive?

Why would it be a waste of time?

For the OP it may be all they have or can afford. I replaced a dead 4TB My Cloud drive with a 200GB drive because it was the only spare unused drive I had at the time. At some point I’ll probably replace that drive with a larger one but for the time being the 200GB drive works in the WB My Cloud enclosure.

What partition sizes did you use? I have a 512gb drive and using the 2tb partition sizes aren’t working. They work on a 1tb drive, but not the 512gb. I am not sure what each partition is used for or their relative sizes. Thanks! For any input… :slight_smile:

Not sure what single bay My Cloud version you have (older gen 1 or newer gen 2) but for the first gen My Cloud the following partition settings should work (from Fox_exe’s Gen 1 directions) assuming you have enough space on the new/replacement hard drive.

mkpart primary 528M 2576M
mkpart primary 2576M 4624M
mkpart primary 16M 528M
mkpart primary 4828M 100%
mkpart primary 4624M 4724M
mkpart primary 4724M 4824M
mkpart primary 4824M 4826M
mkpart primary 4826M 4828M

For a gen 2 single bay the following sizes should work. Note I don’t have a gen 2 so I cannot comment on the values used. From Fox_exe’s gen 2 directions.

mkpart primary 1049kB 2149MB
mkpart primary 8591MB -1MB
mkpart primary 7517MB 8591MB
mkpart primary 2149MB 3222MB
mkpart primary 3222MB 4296MB
mkpart primary 4296MB 6443MB
mkpart primary 6443MB 7517MB

For the first gen My Cloud I used the values above (for first gen) to unbrick a number of different sized hard drives (250GB, 500GB, 1TB and 8TB). The trick was to perform a 40 second reset immediately after performing all the unbricking steps from Fox_exe’s first gen directions. After a long post 40 second reboot the user data partition on the drive resized correctly.

The partition values shouldn’t need to be changed to match the size of the hard drive since they have to be a specific size for each partition otherwise the firmware may not get properly installed.

It worked! I was just looking too low in the DHCP table for the Drive. It was popping up higher in the table numbers than I was used to seeing and the drive was flashing red so I thought it was dead in the water. The last couple times I tested it on the 1tb there were no lights in safe mode. Thanks for the partition info, I will add it to my notes just in case :slight_smile: You are right about using whatever drive to get it up and going. I use mine mainly as a hub for my larger MyBook drive. I would throw whatever in there to make it work, Being so flaky you can easily lose everything in the Mycloud drive so I save most everything on the external drive because its usually easier to rescue files off the USB drive…

I been testing and got it to work on a 80 gb drive :slight_smile: Cool! This can be my backup clone drive. It will be a quick clone if I need to use it on pretty much any size drive 80 gb or larger.