WDBCTL0020HWT-00 vs WDBCTL0020HWT-10 OS/Firmware ver & Upgrades

Somewhat long post, but includes system info… and I’m medicated :smiley: so ignore typos, etc… :smiley:

Clearly I’m late to the party here… and despite various searches and reading I’m still in fog over this. I located some info and want to verify what I suspect (basically I’m screwed… nevertheless…)

BACKGROUND:
Several years ago, I purchased 2 My Clouds a year or so apart. One, I had out of the box & was using. I had opened the SSH locally on MC#1 and was tweaking it (it appears… been a few years since it was boxed/unboxed) & don’t recall everything that I did to it… (so much for taking notes :-/). Nevertheless…

I finally got around to reconnecting MC#1, unboxed MC#2, did a basic configure, opened SSH and to my surprise… the OS looked very different :-/. MC#2, using a very different OS revision… “busybox” instead of native tools, etc, which is what got me digging and realized two completely different devices.

CURRENT CONFIG:
MC#1 (bought first - warranty expired 2016)

• PN: WDBCTL0020HWT-00
  • Web UI Firmware Ver: v04.04.02-105 (needs updating)
  • shell commad: “uname”:
    ---- Linux WD1 3.2.26 #1 SMP Thu Jul 9 11:14:15 PDT 2015 wd-2.4-rel armv7l GNU/Linux
  • shell commad: “cat /proc/cpuinfo”:
    ---- Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
    ---- processor : 0
    ---- BogoMIPS : 1292.69
    ---- processor : 1
    ---- BogoMIPS : 1292.69
    ---- Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls
    ---- CPU implementer : 0x41
    ---- CPU architecture: 7
    ---- CPU variant : 0x2
    ---- CPU part : 0xc09
    ---- CPU revision : 1
    ---- Hardware : Comcerto 2000 EVM
    ---- Revision : 0001
    ---- Serial : 0000000000000000

MC#1 (bought first - warranty expired 2016)

• PN: WDBCTL0020HWT-10
  • Web UI Firmware Ver: 2.31.163 (current)
  • shell commad: “uname”:
    ---- Linux WD2 3.10.39 #1 SMP Thu Nov 15 21:22:21 CST 2018 2014T20p4 Build-git0451941 armv7l GNU/Linux
  • shell commad: “cat /proc/cpuinfo”:
    processor : 0
    ---- model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
    ---- BogoMIPS : 1594.16
    ---- CPU variant : 0x4
    ---- processor : 1
    ---- model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
    ---- BogoMIPS : 1594.16
    ---- CPU variant : 0x4
    ---- Hardware : Marvell Armada 375 (Device Tree)
    ---- Revision : 0000
    ---- Serial : 0000000000000000

It seems WD#2 is a trimmed down version of Debian utilizing “Busybox”.
It seems WD#1 is a more robust/compete version of Debian but is lacking some features via the UI and lacks in performance issues (could be the lessor H/W).

Given the above… seems these two devices are MILES apart… hardware and OS/Firmware s well (I’f I’m wrong, slap me)… but…
#1: Is there ANYWAY to get these two on the same platform (OS/firmware) with the same robust OS that WD#1 has
#2: If I was to use “rsync” over ssh to mirror the content between the two (cronjob), would mirroring “/nfs” or “/shares”

Not a Linux pro… but I can wade my way through… so…
Any info, ideas, suggestions would be appreciated…

For question 1 the official answer is no you cannot use the same WD firmware on both devices due to each using slightly different hardware.

Unofficially it may be possible to somehow use the same non WD firmware but you’d have to search through the forum (magnifying glass icon upper right) to see if anyone else has done something similar. Also see user Fox_Exe’s Google Drive where there may be additional information.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVRXF4aFpYS2dzMEE

For question 2, again use the forum search feature. There are a number of past discussions on using rsync to copy data from one My Cloud to another or to a USB hard drive attached to the My Cloud. There is also a number of past discussions on using CRON to automate various tasks including rsync. When using rsync you can backup what ever you want on the My Cloud. Either the entire Share folder so you are backing up just the user data or one could try rsyncing the entire drive contents or one could backup select files or folders. The choice is yours.

While I don’t have two My Clouds, I do use rsync to backup several Shares to a USB drive attached to the My Cloud by way to a CRON job that runs every night and emails me when done. Made some comments on it in this thread/post.

Appreciated… the lack “in store information” about the drastic differences in these to devices seems to have resulted in me getting bent over and taking it hard from WD… sigh
Need to remind myself that when I see “WD solutions”… I’d be better served remembering… “WD BOHICA” (WD… bend over here it comes again).
Also, I think next time, I might ask if the WD solution comes with some KY and Preparation H :-/