WDBACW0020HBK-NESN on Asus P6x58

Ok, so I have 2 of these babies and they seem to be working fine. But I have one huge problem and can not figure out why this is happening.

This MOBO has 2 USB 3.0 and wanted to take advantage of this by getting 2 of these My Book Essential (USB 3.0). As I have connected them originally, everything was working fine. I realize that when turning off the PC that the drives were still running as the power to the USB’s 2.0 & 3.0 was still on. I realize d that I needed to make a change in the BIOS to rectify this. THEN the problems started.

When the PC reboots, I can not get the drive to go on at the same time. I have assigned letters to them in Drive Management whe I first got them. I now check in Drive Mgmt and see that  only one is there. I have fiddle with unplugging both and replugging to get them on. Sometimes it works. This is crazy!

So after seaching all over the net and WD, I have done the following:

1. Checked for Online Status in Drive Mgmt.

2. Assigned letters to the drives

3. Tested them both in the 2.0 USB connection and they both work

4. Formatted both drive on 2 different Computers and brought them back to my PC and still have the issue (Signature Collision, very rare!!)

1. Switched the cables arround, no affect

Honestly, running out of ideas and really disappointed in WD for not helping me resolve the issue. I have been a loyal customer to WD since the late 80’s and all my drive are WD: Internal Drives (10), Passports (4), My Book’s (3). You’d figure they would help resolve the issue.

PS. Before we say it’s the MOBO, I have other USB 3.0 products and they all work and I have even made sure to have the latest drivers for the NEC Controller.

So can someone tell me what’s next? Hope somebody has a solution for me!! :frowning:

Thank you!

ZorroSG

Did you by any chance go back into the BIOS and reset it the configuration you had before?  If so, does the issue go away?

Hi Bill_s,

The only thing I did in the BIOS is to set it so that all USB 2.0 & 3.0 turn power off to the USB’s when the system shuts down.

If I reset it back the way it was, all USB drives will always stay on 24/7.

Change the setting back just to test it.  See if that fixes anything.  If it does, then that will tell you something.

the whole idea is to have them shutting down. BTW, it’s al;ways the same unit that will not turn on. did an RMA and will see if is simply the unit that is defective.