WDBACW0020HBK Die after hours later

I have 2 my book essential, one is WDBAAF0010HBK, it works fine.

But the other new one WDBACW0020HBK (2TB usb 3.0 supported, I connect it through USB 2.0) has something wrong.

I’ve changed the “sleep” option to “never sleep”, the older one has no problem, but the new one will lost power (all lights on it off), and lost connection with computer after hours or OS re-booting. It won’t turn on even I press the power button on it, re-plug USB connector won’t help. I have to disconnect the power line, and re-connect, it turn on again.

Is this some kind of problem of my WDBACW0020HBK ? or there are something wrong with my setting?

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Googol wrote:

I have 2 my book essential, one is WDBAAF0010HBK, it works fine.

But the other new one WDBACW0020HBK (2TB usb 3.0 supported, I connect it through USB 2.0) has something wrong.

I’ve changed the “sleep” option to “never sleep”, the older one has no problem, but the new one will lost power (all lights on it off), and lost connection with computer after hours or OS re-booting. It won’t turn on even I press the power button on it, re-plug USB connector won’t help. I have to disconnect the power line, and re-connect, it turn on again.

Is this some kind of problem of my WDBACW0020HBK ? or there are something wrong with my setting?

You should try all the standard troubleshooting steps recommended

1. if it’s connected to a power strip, trying connecting the drive directly to the wall to make sure that it’s getting enough power.  power strips are notorious for losing power as they get older.
  2. try another port, usb cable, or another pc to make sure that it’s not the cable, port, or your pc.
  3. try another power adapter (contact support for another one), to make sure that it’s not the power adapter failiing.

My WDBACW0020HBK is whole new bought, newest firmware updated just now.

Power supply, connection seems good (can see x264 codec movie on it).

USB port changed did not work.

Now it won’t sleep after hours, can turn off (none of lights on) when PC shut down of re-start phase 1, but won’t turn on (even pressed and holded power button on it, only un-plugged & re-plugged power line can work) when PC come back of re-start phase 2 (Windows logged in).

Any idea?

Can I just turn off the SmartPower option?

Actually, I don’t really like it.

are you saying you don’t like smartware?  if so, then just uninstall it.  did you install the ses driver for it?  also, maybe you should contact support like nesvic says.  it might be either a bug or a bad drive.  they should be able to tell you.

No!!! Smartware is good.

I mean, the auto-power on/off function do NOT work for me.

I’ve found something strange today.

My 2 books’ lights are on or blinking during my Vista x64 re-start procedure, but… the light of WDBACW0020HBK suddenly turn off just 1 second before the log in screen of Windows showing up (the light of USB line connection is still on, it means Windows can detect it connected by USB), and never turn on even I press down its power button, or re-start Windows again. The disk won’t show up in Windows’ explorer, either. I have to un-plug its power and re-plug it again, then it will come back normally.

The light of the other book WDBAAF0010HBK is always on or blinking during the whole re-start procedure. It come back automatically after logged in Windows.

The WDBAAF0010HBK do NOT has any “AUTO POWER ON/OFF” feature, but WDBACW0020HBK has this feature, and it can NOT be disabled !!!

I don’t know why can it NOT be disabled? How come you guys designed it in such way? without any disable option for users?

I don’t need this feature, and it doesn’t work for my computer, so I want to disable the “AUTO POWER ON/OFF” feature.

Please update software and firmware and let me choose the option of Enable/Disable “AUTO POWER ON/OFF” feature.

Thank you.

Googol wrote:

I don’t know why can it NOT be disabled? How come you guys designed it in such way? without any disable option for users?

I don’t need this feature, and it doesn’t work for my computer, so I want to disable the “AUTO POWER ON/OFF” feature.

Please update software and firmware and let me choose the option of Enable/Disable “AUTO POWER ON/OFF” feature.

Thank you.

what?  you think wd is pouring over these threads looking to answer you every little question?  I, for one, had nothing to do with how any of these devices got designed.  so, why don’t you post this **bleep** in the ideas section?

Wayne wrote:

what?  you think wd is pouring over these threads looking to answer you every little question?  I, for one, had nothing to do with how any of these devices got designed.  so, why don’t you post this **bleep** in the ideas section?

• *> Dear Wayne,> I don’t know what the policy of wd to make you answer me like things above.> All of my hard drives and external drives are WD’s products these years, and I suggest my friends to buy WD’s hard drives when they ask me what to buy for storage, I had paid WD thousands of US dollars for these high quality products and good service, NOT for insult.> Maybe I don’t really understand how you guys design the WDBACW0020HBK, with all my respect, would you please just think about this for 1 second: what make me to complain so much and waste my time here? Why didn’t I just use my new “My Book Essential” happily and silently like the time when I just bought the older one WDBAAF0010HBK?> I have read blogs out there, people feel confused with the “AUTO POWER ON/OFF” feature didn’t work on their computer like me, either. — dose it make my “little question” a little bigger?> It won’t make any question, and you won’t see me here, if it works fine. If it don’t bother me, then I won’t care if it works fine.> The serious problem is, everytime I reboot my computer, I have to un-plug & re-plug the power line of WDBACW0020HBK, otherwise, it won’t come back to work. I have to reboot my computer frequently for my job and personal need, if what all I need to do is press the power button of WDBACW0020HBK after reboot, I still can accept such “little inconvenience” without any complain…but, even so, the power button is useless on this situation !! How can you define such serious problem as a “little question” ?> Here is another news just happened, during the time you posting “What?..little **bleep** question”, I had tried it again with “Shut-down computer” testing… It works !!! WDBACW0020HBK will turn off when shut down (with WDBAAF0010HBK together), turn on when the computer’s power turned on again. BUT, it still NOT works and keep OFF line if the computer just rebooted, NOT turn off & turn on again.> I think WD has the obligation to figure out what happened, NOT let consumers do this for WD.> You can still keep arrogant on and make me “liitle question”… or do something to solve this problem for consumers who don’t want waste their time to talk to WD but complain products’ problem of WD to their friends out there.

you’re confusing me with someone from wd.  I’m not.  sorry if you don’t get it.  but I am happy your drive shut down. 

[edit]

the fact is, I’m here cause I like helping people.  but you’re blaming me like I’m the one designing the drives.  maybe you just don’t understand english.

Wayne wrote:

you’re confusing me with someone from wd.  I’m not.  sorry if you don’t get it.  but I am happy your drive shut down. 

[edit]

the fact is, I’m here cause I like helping people.  but you’re blaming me like I’m the one designing the drives.  maybe you just don’t understand english.

Actually, I really don’t know who is answering my question. You are right, I am only a little user having product’s problem whose native language is not English.

But, if you are not a staff of WD, please do not answer question like that you were.

If you are a staff of WD, I “guess” the supervisors of WD will hope you to help users here, not give them insult.

Thank you for reading.

(PS, if you could not help me to solve the problem, please do not answer me any more, I will deeply appreciate your kindness.)

The only staff here are the moderators this is not an official WD support site. It’s just other users trying to help others users with problems.

Joe

Dude, just like Joe_S said, this is user board not and a WD support channel. If someone like Wayne comes here on his own will on his own free time to try to give some advice after no one else did and a moderator itself commended to call WD then you could at least be more nice about it.

You won’t get a lot of people to help you with that attitude.

Hi,

I am having also problems with MyBook Essential, mine is 3TB, WDBACW0030HBK.

I updated after I got it with the lastest firmware and starting loading it with lots of stuff. I started to notice some problems when I plugged it in to my WD TV live plus(updated to a firmware that supports 3TB), it looked like it didn’t stop scanning the drive ever until I played a file. Later, I got a problem when I connected to my PC (windows 7 64bit), it took some time to recognize it and then started to appear messages like I should scan the drive to fix errors. When I did this, it didn’t end ever, looked like it froze on some sector.

It seems to be progressively getting worse and worse and now after I copied some large video files into it, it looks like it won’t work anymore, my pc and WD TV doesn’t recognize it anymore.

Any ideas?

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

Dude, just like Joe_S said, this is user board not and a WD support channel. If someone like Wayne comes here on his own will on his own free time to try to give some advice after no one else did and a moderator itself commended to call WD then you could at least be more nice about it.

You won’t get a lot of people to help you with that attitude.

Hi, Thank you for advice.

I know Joe_S told me to try something, I’ve tried all of them but only calling to service center – since my free time is out of the service time, they are not 24hr.

About Wayne, have you noticed that he tried to insult me in his first reply? He has some attitude, not me.

what are you talking about?  my first reply was a series of steps to troubleshoot your drive.  I wasn’t trying to insult you.  And I’m sorry if you took it that way.  if you’re referring to my third post, that was because it looked like you were blaming me for your problems, like I was wd.  but, in any case, what does it matter?  let’s move on.