Wdbackservice.exe preventing shutdown

When shutting down my Windows 10 computer, I receive the following error message:

wdbackupservice.exe is preventing shutdown

Then my WD Easystore power light continues to flash.

It is recommended to safely eject the drive before you shutdown the PC. WD Backup could be running and accessing the device.

Inann…I’ve seen an “in use” message when trying to do the Safe Eject…however, you are getting this when you go thru a normal PC shutdown?

• so does the PC NOT shut down even with the warning…or is the warning displayed and then it shuts down anyway…if actual Backup was running, I can see the message popping up.
  • however, most/all of us have many WD Apps running if you look at process under Task Manager
  • I have a Passport that have many Apps but when the PC shuts down, the LCD lites shut down and I get no warning.
  • does this warning always happen on every shutdown.
  • is power only supplied thru the USB connection from the PC or thru a power cable?. If so, a flashing power light to me indicates PC power still passing to your device.

There is no option to safely eject drive when right click on device from file manager. Not sure why.

I receive warning on every shutdown. This same warning happened on an old computer as well. After warning, PC proceeds as if to shutdown, however, WD device power light continues to flash. EasyStore device is connected via USB connection to the PC. There is no option to safely eject when right click on drive in file manager.

Inann…I’m not sure why you get a warning on every shutdown…unless the Backup is always active…take a look at your tray on the bottom of the PC window and see if any of the icons are WD associated. Mine is blank until I open the Backup dialog. When Backup runs in the background on my schedule, I do not see any icon popping up either. Now when you look at Task Manager, you will definitely see many WD apps loaded, but when I PC log off, I only get a msg when I’ve loaded say a movie viewer or an external application…I usually close my browser, Explorer windows and all visible applications before I shut down. Here is my Task mgr.

• as to the eject, there is a Safe Eject by the clock. or under the WD Discovery icon

• you may have to wait a few seconds and may not get a sound or an notification of eject.

• finally, does your device have a separate power chord and/or a on/off button?

Thank you for continuing to help. After logging off and logging back into computer, here is my task manager:

Also, this is what I get when Safe Eject by clock:
device in use

Inann…this has been interesting conversation…lets see, I put some thoughts in the same issue you showed about the safe eject…I had the same problem before I found an forum answer…let me search… found something on my Jul 23 reply.

• for some reason, when you try safe eject, the WD software is trying to still hold onto the drive, like its trying to read, monitor…and heaven forbid, write to it when in idle mode

• type device manager in lower search box and change the disk drive to better performance…my messages went away. I think the other button, means that if you pull the USB, you will loose everything in cache…something like that. I don’t like pulling the USB, always use safe eject, just incase something is really writing/reading that drive. I had a situation that a movie player was minimized and I tried to eject, got a warning, but pulled instead…file got corrupted and Explorer started acting funky on future reading of file…could not even delete…had to isolate file from future use…awful!.

• as to you rt mouse eject not showing up on mouse click…mine too…not quite sure what the technical answer to this is…I even have thumb drives, that either have or have no eject thru mouse…I’ve just started using the eject by the clock…got paranoid with this.

• you doing an eject, hope that shuts you blinking lite…of course the device should reload when you turn your PC on, or re-plug the USB back in. SO, does the device have a power plug or switch.

• on a slight comment…have you ever use windows Snip utility to capture a screen to paste or print? Try window-shift-s keys, will capture image into clipboard. If you quickly pick the pop-up picture next to the clock, a dialog box will appear that you can use some tools (no true text editing, however). Any mods to the box, will also edit the clipboard that you can paste or print…something I use a lot for ease…works on any screen window. You just mouse select a box area (couple of other options at the top. When you end the box, it captures…

• also strange how we have WD tools loaded but slightly different under Task Manager…