WDBAAU0010HBR Smoking

Hi All,

I have had this 1TB drive since 2010 and used it infrequently (every 2-3 months) to back up changed files. Recently it started smoking around the power input connector. I took it apart and reconnected the power and found that the dc-dc converter on the USB to SATA interface board was overheating and smoking.

Do I need to reformat the drive (WD10EADS Disk) if I connect it directly to the pc using a SATA and Power cables or should it work correctly (assuming nothing is wrong with the disk and the problem existed with the USB to SATA interface board?hgf

Overheating of any storage drive is more severe than we think. Every storage drive has a minimum and maximum operating temperature. Any change in the internal or external temperature significantly affects the drive performance and life. Anything below or above the ideal temperature can have a bad impact on the drive and can lead to the following issues:

• Data loss
  • File corruption
  • Drive corruption
  • Increase in bad sectors
  • System crash
  • Frequent system freeze
  • Unexpected system shutdown
  • Constant screeching, clicking or whirring sound
  • Drive failure

To know more about the issue & how you can fix this, I suggest you to check out the below blog: https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-fix-hard-drive-overheating-and-recover-data-in-windows-and-mac/

Hope it will help.

Mikes2
Thanks for your reply, here is an update so far:
Plugged drive into pc using sata and pwr cables, disk seen by windows, initiated disk and it appears in disk management as a basic disk with MBR and of the correct size, it has no drive letter or partition i.e the disk appears to be unformatted.
Why can the disk contents not be seen as they were there when the disk worked as an external drive What does the removed USB to SATA interface pcb have that affects the ability for the drives contents to be seen?
Is there any easy way of recovering the disks contents?

Hi,

As you mentioned above that your drive has no drive letter or partition, in this case, I suggest you to try the below solutions to fix the problem or to recover data from the affected drive:

Solution 1: Restore the Missing Hard drive Space using Disk Management

Disk management is a tool that is used to create and manage hard drive partitions in Windows. You can use the Disk management tool to restore the missing hard drive space by following these steps:

1. Press Windows + R . In the box, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter . Disk Management window appears.

2. Right-click on the unallocated hard disk partition and choose New Simple Volume. New Simple volume wizard opens.

3. Follow the wizard: specify the volume size, assign a drive letter, and choose NTFS from File System drop-down. Click Next to confirm followed by the Finish button.

Solution 2: Use Data Recovery Software

You can try using Stellar Data Recovery Professional software to recover your lost or deleted system files as it is one of the best data recovery software that enables the user to recover data from corrupted or accidentally formatted drive & lost partitions of the drive.

You can check the below blog link to know how to use the software to resolve your issue: https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-recover-lost-partition-in-windows-10/

Hope it will help.

Mikes2

Does not solution 1 erase all the disk data and not enable data recovery? I realise that I can re-partition the disk but I want to recover the data that should be on the disk.

I have seen some youtube videos that show how to recover the partition data using different software and I have a copy of AOMEI Partition Assistant that should/will recover the data so I’ll give it a go.

I was just wondering why I couldn’t just plug the disk into the pc and see the data as, as far as I’m aware the disk is the same as if you just bought it as an extra SATA disk with all the same controllers on the disk. The interface pcb has circitry for power convertion from 12V to 3.3V for the chips and a USB to SATA bridge so what does the other 2 chips do (SST 25VF010A 1MB SPI Serial Flash and one I can’t identify)?