WD800EB Issue

I have been using this drive as a secondary in my desktop, but am experiencing some weird issues with using it…

I recently reformatted my main SATA drive, but before doing this, I removed my WD drive just to prevent any issues…

Once I had my main drive and system back up to snuff, I attempted to reconnect this drive, as it had been before, but could not either get my system to boot with it connected…no matter which position I connected it on the IDE cable, nor with either the jumper removed, or with the jumper in any position…

I then thought, ok, I will just get an external usb enclosure, and use it that way (which would actually be really convenient to use it with my laptop)…

So I get the external enclosure today, and go through trying to get my system to recognize it, again, attempting to use it both without the jumper in place, and also in every position…now heres the weird thing…if I do not use the jumper, and connect it via the usb cable, while my system recognizes it as a "USB Mass Storage Device (and it actually shows up in the Device Manager as "Initio WD800-EB-00DJF0 USB Device), it does not assign it a drive letter, and I cannot access the drive…

I know the USB drive enclosure is working as I tested it using some other, older drives I had, and even reformatted a couple of them…

And thoughts, hints, clues or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks…

Dave

Did you check if the drive appears on Disk Management?

How is the drive showing on disk management?

You will be able to assign a letter to the drive from the disk management.

Check the link below for more information

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1164/session/L3RpbWUvMTM3MTg0ODIyNi9zaWQvUXZ5OV9qdGw%3D

Its showing up as “Disk 5”, with no drive letter and is noted as not initialized/unallocated…so I guess something happened to it and what was on it is gone…well thats what backups are for …

Thanks to both responders!..I greatly appreciate the assistance…have a great weekend!

Dave