WD6401AALS Boot Problem

Hi, receltly my WD HDD has a weird kind of problem and I’m running out of ideas what to do. Here some info:

• when I boot up my PC (power it up) the BIOS POST is quite slow at “Detecting IDE devices” and after that I get the message “BOOT DISK FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER” Note that this only happens when i power up my computer after power it down. When I restart the system I have no problem.  I tried to find whatever I could on the subject and I did those things:

-check and even replace working SATA cables,

-replace PSU

-update BIOS

-format the drive

NO CHANGE. Then I decided to power the HDD via external adapter, so it can spin up and be ready (I run out of ideas as i told you) and then I got everything in the normal condition - fast post, everything in order. My new PSU is Fortron 400WATT, but I had this drive for almost a year with 400WATT Deluxe with no problems whatsoever.

I do not know what to do anymore. My only choice as i see it is to send the drive to RMA.

Could anyone give me an advice?

If the drive is spinning up without a problem on usb, then the drive may be okay.  However, your error kind of gives away the issue. 

• when I boot up my PC (power it up) the BIOS POST is quite slow at “Detecting IDE devices” and after that I get the message “BOOT DISK FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER”
    • *> Check your bios to see if you have your eide ports enabled.  Some bios’s won’t allow both eide and sata to be enabled.  The other thing to check is whether you have sata devices or eide devices set to boot first.  It’s called boot order.  Check these things to make sure they’re correct.  Finally, you might want to make sure you are connected to the proper sata port - port 0 or port 1.  Even though is seems like it shouldn’t matter, it might make a difference as to whether the drive is seen.