WD5000AAKS problem

drive worked fine for about a week after installing windows 7 ultimate on it. i would get periodic freezes, but now it is impossible to do anything. upon running an application, pc goes into slow motion mode where there is a 5 sec pause with anything i do. this also seems to happen if i dont do anything…

Have you tested this drive as a secondary drive?

Have yu tested the drive in another motherboard ? 

If you can install this drive as a secondary and it works then test the drive with DLG that you can find in WDC.COM under support\Downloads.

If still you have issues with the drive then REPLACE IT.

as a secondary drive, i tried listening to some music… what happens is it plays normally for a second, then the sound just loops, then my computer goes into slow mo again until i close the player. dont have another motherboard unfortunately. you think i should just replace it? i will try DLG before i do that

well this is very strange. i get the result “too many bad sectors detected”. wouldn’t even complete the scan. disappointing

I believe that is the most common error message for these drives. I’d say WD have used poor quality parts in many of their HDDs for some time now.

i think you have same problem with me and another user… i just answer it…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/WD-Blue-Caviar-500GB-WD50000AAKS-Taking-forever-re-installing/td-p/71388

DLG IS A DIAGNOSTIC TOOL THAT YOU CAN DOWNLOAD FROM WDC.COM

IN CASE THAT YOU HAVE A DEFECTIVE DRIVE THE TEST WILL FAIL. YOU WILL HAVE TO DIFFERENT TESTS (QUICK TEST AND EXTENDED TEST). IF THE DRIVE IS BAD IT WILL GIVE YOU AN ERROR CODE. BUT AS A RECOMENDATION IF YOU GET ANY ERROR JUST GO AHEAD AND REPLACE IT

ANYTHING ELSE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.