WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue...not working right..?

Hi,

Recently my hardrive isn’t showing on the computer…It boots up and spins, but it doesn’t show up on my computer/even in the device manager. There’s no clicking noises or anything, it sounds exactly the same as when it worked. I’ve been using this drive for backup of my data and connecting it to my computer using a sata to usb connector. Any ideas…? Thanks! =)

Well you got several options here…

• Test your drive using a different computer.

• Replace the USB cable.

• Change the drive enclosure.

It was plugged into another computer by a computer shop sales tech and it didn’t show up either on their computer, but then using the same cable kit, a different hardrive came up on the computer.

I also recently bought a new sata to usb kit because the old one got broken from stepping on it by accident…

I never had a drive enclosure either because the kit never came with one…O.o;; But I’ve always stored it carefully.

The computer shop tech said the reason why it isn’t showing up on the computer might be the circuit board & not the hardrive? He said that if I could replace the circuit board with another one from the same/similar model it should work again…But then I googled this & it said that you couldn’t do this because each hardrive has it’s own ‘fingerprint’…?

Both the hardrive & circuit board look & sound fine though ( the same as I boiught it? )…So I’m not sure what the problem is…or how to fix it…

You were running an internal drive with a SATA to USB cable only and using it on a regular basis? I wonder if it isn’t ESD. I would only use a setup like that to service, maybe to copy data to a new drive but you want something shielded for regular use.

I’ll look up (ie do some shopping) on a 2TB drive and respond to your other thread…

Ah, yes, you’re right…I should of bought an internal closure instead )=
There are some enclosures that also work as a sata to usb setup, which I should of got instead of the one that I did…

I used this drive sparingly, except for the few days when I did use it, I had it running for 2 hours-ish  straight copying data onto it.  I think near the end, I filled just a bit over half of the drive…

Can I fix it at all though…? Thanks for your help. ^^